[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Past tense vs. present tense : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Past tense vs. present tense

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Justinsayen
Private E-1

Past tense vs. present tense

Postby Justinsayen » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Would having a novel written in present tense be a bad thing? My novel is finished, written in such a way, but not sure if I should change it. I don't know any present tense novels and not sure if I should change it. The reason I wrote it in present tense was to give it a feeling of being there as it happens. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

DrG2
Colonel

Re: Past tense vs. present tense

Postby DrG2 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:31 pm

there are many recent novels written in present tense, particularly in YA, but they crop up in all genres/markets.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:32 am

Be aware that some readers, who just can't make the transition, refuse to read present-tense novels. My one present-tense novel was a little more difficult to write, or perhaps I should say rewrite, as I changed the main character from a male teenager to a female 13-year-old and the tense from past to present. I felt that the new form did indeed add immediacy and some angst.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:59 am

I have a hard time with present tense, but that's just me. When someone says they wrote the novel in the present to make it seem like it's happening now, I just think, no it's not. You wrote this X time ago. I'm not fooled. To me nothing can happen real time unless I'm living it in real time. The good thing is everyone has different taste. If it's written well, then people will like it. Do what your gut tells you.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 pm

I just finished reading Doomed, by Chuck Pahlaniuk, and I had gotten to page 266 (out of 300+) before I said to myself: this is written in present tense. Actually, parts are past tense (flashbacks and a few chapters from a different narrator), but most is present tense.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:38 pm

The Rule of Three

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:14 pm

I do think it's harder to write good present tense novels. But OTOH, it might just be that when we encounter bad writing, we point to the most obvious reason. "Ugh, that's bad. Must be the present tense."

tom9
Private E-2

Postby tom9 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:21 am

Bob W
Private E-1

Postby Bob W » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:41 am

I was re-reading a Burke yesterday when it hit me-a section is in present tense, double space and changed to past. Not disconcerting at all. I tried to figure why.
I wrote a tension building scene both ways. I feel the present builds a stronger sense of immediacy.

Bob

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:17 am

The Rule of Three

Next

Return to FAQs