[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Self Published Writers Forum : General Questions & Discussions • Page 11 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Self Published Writers Forum

online365
Private E-1

Re: Self Published Writers Forum

Postby online365 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:54 pm

If anyone interested, I did my latest work here (spam link removed - kindly contact the WD sales department for all your spam - er, advertisng needs -pls.) they have some information about self publishing.

sherry_soule
Private E-1

Postby sherry_soule » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:03 pm

I think the biggest problem with self-publishing is the lack of professionalism by some authors, poor editing, and marketing pitfalls. Self-pubbed writers have to wear many hats: writer, marketer, publisher, social media guru, and so forth.

And nowadays, so many book bloggers are no longer accepting self-pubbed books for review. Which sucks.

What advice is to produce quality work.
Have your novel professionally edited.
Read your work aloud. This means the entire novel.
Have it reviewed by unbiased readers and get a critique partner or two.
Hire a professional cover designer and have the text formatted correctly.

For someone going the self-publishing route all of these things are important when presenting your work to the public. The few writers that don’t bother or care about appearing professional hurt the chances of other Indie authors, which do care enough to produce professional, quality novels. Smart writers read books on improving the craft, take writing courses, speak to published authors, and go to conferences and talk to agents and editors, and learn how to improve as a writer. Until other self-published authors take his or her time to create a professional book that is formatted and edited well, then unfortunately the stereotype is gonna stick.

Just my two cents...

Sherry Soule | | | | |

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:35 am

So do Smashwords, Amazon, and most other venues. What sets your site above what they offer?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:07 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:26 pm

I used Create Space to publish my prayer book. What a beautiful job they did and are ever so easy to work with. They send you a proof copy and you make your corrections. I found that holding an actual book in your hand helps you find more errors and correct them. Or if you wold like something in bold print etc. they will do that. I could not believe how fast their turn around was. The book automatically goes on Amazon and one can also purchase it from the publisher.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Previous

Return to General Questions & Discussions