How and Where

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

How and Where

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:48 am

My family history novel, which I've recently posted a few editing questions, is fast coming to an end. My retired English teacher friend who has been helping with the editing has only several more chapters to finish. She feels I should not self publish, "The book is far too interesting to not have wide acceptance." On that note, as the book is about Wisconsin, should I look primarily for a Wisconsin publisher or go national? I found one Wisconsin publisher who accepts MS from Europe and Asia as well as USA. I sent in what they requested and the wait is 4 to 6 weeks for an answer. May I have your advice? And where do I look for such agents/lpublishers? Thanks.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: How and Where

Postby mammamaia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 pm

i don't see why you should narrow your queries to just wisconsin publishers/agents [if there are any]... but it would certainly be a good idea to try any university presses in the state, as they often publish books with local settings...

as for other publishers/agents, just go over the listings and query ones who take on the genre you have to offer... you can email me for listings of publishers and agents in the US and canada, if you don't have them...

i'm happy to know you're close to this significant point in the publishing process, carol... congratulations!

if you want a second opinion on whether the ms is ready for publication, i'll be glad to take a look the first chapter...

love and huge proud-of-you hugs, maia
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Where has nothing to do with it. Large publishers publish novels set anywhere and everywhere. In fact, if you bring the setting to vibrant life, the best setting is one editors don't see fifty times per day. The big mistake many new writers make is think their novel should be st in New York City, or Chicago, or Paris, or some other big city they know nothing about.

What you need is an agent, not a publisher. A good novel has no trouble finding an agent, and it's the agent's job to decide which publisher should see the novel.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:53 pm

While I agree with the earlier suggestions, I don't think there would be anything wrong with a direct submission to a few publishers while you are querying agents.

University of Wisconsin Press is an excellent publisher. Here is their page for submissions.
http://uwpress.wisc.edu/submissions.html

Wanted to note that there is something wrong with the term "family history novel". If it is true, it's not a novel.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:39 am

Thanks James and Dr.G I'll check into that. Maia your offer is appreciated also.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to FAQs