[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
computer or notebook or other device for writing : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

computer or notebook or other device for writing

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: computer or notebook or other device for writing

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:00 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:17 am

I agree that Royals are better than Underwoods (or L. C. Smiths, or most others), but I still love my old Olympia, although I hardly ever use it (typing addresses on envelopes occasionally). I also have a MacInker device for inking ribbons, although the ink in it may be dried up by now. I used it for inking impact printer ribbons until they literally disintegrated. So theoretically, I could go on typing forever, as I have a box of ribbons, plus some old computer ribbons, that I could respool onto Olympia reels. Or I could just use my Parker 51 fountain pen to write with, ignoring the cramping up of my right hand and arm.

Sorry. I digress. I love the old machines, but I'm still going to keep writing with my computer of choice and relegate typewriters and fountain pens to a legacy status.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Tresemay
Private E-1

Postby Tresemay » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:39 pm

I just bought a HP Laptop for mainly just writing. I figure that way I can write inside/outside/in any room of the house. I have a tablet but prefer keyboard.
Not crazy about the mouse on a laptop but I am supposed to be mainly typing away using only keyboard!!! :lol:

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:35 pm

I can't stand laptop mice, but there's a super easy fix. There are wireless mice that just plug right into your USB port. There's a dongle that plugs in, the mouse talks to it, and you have a standard mouse to work with. You can pick one up for about ten bucks.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:07 pm

I love writing on my laptop and can't stand the laptop mouse. I have what Mooky described- a portable wireless mouse. The worst part of the laptop mouse is I have tendency to drag my thumbs on it while I'm typing and somehow delete large blocks of text randomly. Thank goodness for the undo button in Word. I'm getting better about not doing that.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:44 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:22 pm

For me, it's all about the keyboard (20 yrs ago there were some CRT screens that were tiring to read from). It needs to be substantial enough to hold its position on the table/desk and require a significant (but not too hard) touch to strike the keys. I haven't sampled many brands of computers lately, but some of the 1980s keyboards were flimsy things I hated using (the keyboards were the best part of the early IBM desktops, imo.)

It took me about 2 hours of use to get used to my mac laptop's trackpad. I prefer it to a mouse because I hardly need to move my hand to use it. And, my messy desk doesn't have room for a mouse.

Sometimes, I wish I had a big enough screen to see a whole page at 100% magnification, but I value the portability of my smaller laptop (which I take everywhere).

I'll never go back to a typewriter, though I liked training on one.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:07 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:28 pm

I've worked for as long as 9 hours on my MacBook Pro, during Nanowrimo. And the trackpad works well on it. I can also attach a mouse and use it if I want to.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs