[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What's you opinion on New Adult? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What's you opinion on New Adult?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Renni01
Private E-1

What's you opinion on New Adult?

Postby Renni01 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:22 am

There is too little info on New Adult around the web, and it's understandable - it's an official book genre since 2008. The main protagonist is between 18 and 26 years old and the stories uncover what the world feels like during this tiny slice of a person's life. For some reason most New Adult fiction is erotica or smutty spam, a.k.a seriousness dropped dramatically (specimens like Fifty Shades of Grey don't help either).

But, the thing is, I researched over 60 agents on AgentQuery and almost each of them was interested in representing New Adult. That's good news for me - I'm trying to get an agent for my New Adult novel right now. And, while my novel does contain sexual tension, it is NOT erotica. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, who tries to make this HUGE difference. Publishers and agents want to fill this genre with serious, original, thought provoking titles. A lot can happen during the 18-26 time gap and it's more than college, first job and marrying a millionaire.

I believe New Adult can emerge just as successfully as Young Adult did, and we'll be seeing a lot of interesting stories soon. Tell me what you think :)

MookyMcD
Captain

Re: What's you opinion on New Adult?

Postby MookyMcD » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:57 am

NA (and YA, MG, etc.) are categories, not genres. So you could have a NA fantasy, for example. NA identifies the intended audience, but the genre is fantasy.

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:08 am

I've heard a few people say they didn't see why that one group of adults in particular should get to be a special category. However, I wish there was more of that because while I am not in that age group, I do like reading novels and stories where the MC is in my age group and wish they were easier to find.
Last edited by Carly Berg on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:06 am

My opinion is that NA was an attempt to cash in on a demographic that was just outside of YA. The jury is still out, but I don't see a lot of evidence that it's working.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:09 am

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 am

My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:21 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:34 pm

I've been an adult since I moved out of my parents' house at 17, so it's kind of hard for me to get how people can be "new" adults still at 30. Surely you're only a new adult for a year, tops. I always figure a couple of weeks to settle into a new job or town or any big change. Why should adulthood be any different? Anyway, I think it's an unnecessary category, but I wish if they were set on breaking things down like this, they'd call it something else. Maybe just Twenty-Somethings or College Years. Anything but "new" adult. :roll:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:07 pm

The few "new adult" titles I've examined have been sort of a "Fifty Shades" for twenty-somethings. There seems to be more to defining the category than just age. Old enough to romp, I suppose.

And I'm sixty-nine and would rather read about younger, active protagonists than about old people like me.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question