[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What Audiobook are you Currently Listening to? : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What Audiobook are you Currently Listening to?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Re: What Audiobook are you Currently Listening to?

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:25 pm

I don't listen to audio books often but I do enjoy them. I have to have something to do while I'm listening. I can't just sit down and listen to one. I wouldn't last five minutes. I don't have a car, so when I have to run several errands via city transportation, it can take several hours and even a couple of days to finish them. Audio books come in very handy then. If I'm excited to listen to an audio book, I'll just go out and walk for a few hours around the lakes and surrounding neighborhoods in order to listen to it.

However, I'm very fussy about what/who I'll listen to. They have to be very, very well read and it has to be a voice I can listen to for hours. This isn't going to win me any friends but I'm being honest... it's rare if I will listen to an audio book that's narrated by a woman unless she has natural bass tones to her voice. I don't know why that is but it's how I'm wired. I can't listen to high voices for long without wincing. It's nothing against women at all. It's just how my ears work.

My absolute favorite, bar none, audio book narrator is George Guidall. His work on The Cat Who... series by Lilian Jackson Braun is more enjoyable than actually reading the books. Superb!
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:08 pm

I finished listening to Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. I'd read it years ago. A little dated, but still a good listen.

Currently I'm listening to Origins of a D-List Supervillain by Jim Bernheimer. So far it's just as solid (really good in other words) as the previous novel, Confessions of a D-List Supervillain.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Recently finished Hard Luck Hank: Basket Full of Crap. It's the sequel to Hard Luck Hank: Screw the Galaxy. Both good listens, but I'd recommend the first novel before listening to the second.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm currently listening to Silent Running: My Years on a World War II Attack Submarine by James F. Calvert (narrated by Kevin Patrick).

I'm enjoying the book. The narration isn't the strongest, but the contents make up for it.

Justin Dufault
Private E-1

Postby Justin Dufault » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:12 am

Just listened to Fifty Shades of Grey and still one of my favorite.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:29 am

Just finished listening to Critical Failures, by Robert Bevan. It's a humorous fantasy (based on RPGs where the characters end up in the game world--not original plot but the story and character are). A more than moderate amount of cussing, if that is something that bothers you, otherwise good fun.

John Dodds
Private E-1

Postby John Dodds » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:33 am

Most recently, Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce, narrated by John Lee. It's an utterly believable tale of a young woman who claims to be have taken away by the fairies and returns home years later only a few months older, while her family have all aged. Did it happen or didn't it? It's as much about the effect of her disappearance on her family as it is about the theme of the unreliable narrator and how fantasy can work perfectly well in mainstream literature if it's tackled as cleverly as it is here. I can also recommend Joyce's suberb novel, "Indigo".

I enjoyed Lee's narration so much that I gingerly suggested to Blackstone Audio that Lee would be the perfect choice to narrate by latest Kendrick Chronicles novel, Babylon Slide (our on 1 February). They agreed, and so did John Lee. I couldn't be more thrilled.

DennisCanfield
Private E-1

Postby DennisCanfield » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:08 am

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Okay, I'm re-listening to Red Storm Rising. It's playing in the background while I'm doing some mundane type grading of papers.

I tend to re-listen to books I enjoy, and can pay closer attention when there are parts I particularly found interesting.

Lesley Vos
Private E-1

Postby Lesley Vos » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:29 am

The fact is, I can't listen to books. The voice they are read with does not fit my inner voice, and it drives me crazy :shock: it's weird, I know. But I have nothing to do with that :?

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion