[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
HELP PLEASE : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

HELP PLEASE

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

HELP PLEASE

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:37 am

I am doing a final edit of my family history story before turning it over to my two friends to do any more correcting. My problem is whether to use laying or lying.
In the story, my grandmother backed both plow horse out of the stall and the blind horse fell into the barn silo. Here is a bit of the scenario.

“Dunner vetter nach mal.” The children heard their mother cry out. Anna’s German slid out so easily as this was her favorite saying whenever anything went wrong. Both girls wondered what went wrong now. Running back into the barn they saw their mother looking down into the barn silo opening. As both girls ran and looked down, there was Bob laying in the hay on his back, feet straight up, wedged in the silo.

Thanks for the help. Guess I'll never get those right in my head. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

robjvargas
Captain

Re: HELP PLEASE

Postby robjvargas » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:36 pm

I'm not sure that you even need that word there. For me, "...there was Bob in the hay, on his back..." works just fine.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:31 pm

hens lay eggs
people lie

So "lying" is the proper word, although Rob's suggestion makes sense.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Excellent suggestion to leave it out completely. I sure will remember that hens LAY and people LIE. Perhaps in more ways than one. My weird sense of humor. Thanks guys, you're wonderful and that's not lying.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:37 am

Return to FAQs