[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
STEPHEN KING SAYS : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

STEPHEN KING SAYS

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

STEPHEN KING SAYS

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:16 pm

The February issue of READERS DIGEST has an article by Stephen King giving some of his quotes. Here are a few I found interesting,

"There's one thing I'm sure about. An opening line should invite the reader to begin the story. It should say: Listen. Come in here. You want to know more about this."

"You know, sometimes people say to me, 'Why do you choose to write that creepy stuff?' An I usually say, 'What makes you think I have a choice?'"

"I take a book almost everywhere. Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life."
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: STEPHEN KING SAYS

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Some good stuff. I wonder why people don't carry around books, too. A paperback takes up very little room, and if you lose it, or have it stolen, it costs very little to replace.

I do quibble with his having no choice about writing the creepy stuff, though. He's written some wonderful stories that weren't creepy at all.

Hawknpen11
Private E-1

Postby Hawknpen11 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:38 pm

I love books, I mean you can't get that feel and smell from a tablet or screen. To hold a book and fell as the weight shifts from one side of the book to the other as you read is wonderful. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and pride, along with the knowledge and sense of fulfillment reading a book brings. People now a days just think about what's easy and saves the most time, they don't stop to enjoy life and what's around them. So stop for just a few minutes and read an actual book and see what will unfold in front of you. Thanks Lillie for posting that!

Landior
Private E-1

Postby Landior » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:18 pm

i am reading at the moment Stephen King "on writing" its full of hints and stories

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:34 am

MatthewTM
Corporal

Postby MatthewTM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Elaine910
Private E-1

Postby Elaine910 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:24 am

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:33 am

A couple other good ones are "If You Want to Write" by Brenda Ueland, a bit dated but fabulously written, and "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott. And either of John Gardner's books, "On Becoming A Novelist" and "The Art of Fiction".

guydevalmont
Private E-1

Postby guydevalmont » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:36 pm

guydevalmont
Private E-1

Postby guydevalmont » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:45 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question