[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
what would you do : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

what would you do

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
seasons364
Private E-1

what would you do

Postby seasons364 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Hello, I am new here and I am looking for help. For the last 10 years I have been wanting to write my story. It is a story that has never been told before. However there are others who have been through the same thing. I finally got up the strength to look for a ghostwriter and found my way to the ghostwriters associations website and I interviewed someone. She asked me many questions. We had two phone conversations and exchanged a few e-mails. The last phone conversation that we had I told her that I was not finished interviewing ghostwriters. Anyway, I just found out today that she has been writing to members of a forum that we discussed. She has been soliciting them for interviews for a book that she is writing about what I disclosed to her. I feel so violated, you have no idea. I am sick over this. How can a professional ghostwriter who advertises on all the ghostwriting sites and editorial sites take advantage of someone like that?

pls
Site Admin

Re: what would you do

Postby pls » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Did she discuss the price of services with you? If she isn't quoting close to five figures, she isn't a professional. Real ghostwriters don't come cheap.

My advice: write your own story. You can do it.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 pm

paul... not just 'close' to but 'at least' period!

seasons...
clearly, her doing that is blatantly unprofessional, unethical, and despicable to the max!

but it makes no difference... your personal story will not be the same as whatever this 'w'itch comes up with, if she ever bothers to write one on her own, based on whatever you told her... and she can't make it a memoir or autobiography, can she?

so, calm down, take a few deep breaths, and just go your own way... i'm sure she'll get her comeuppance eventually...

i occasionally take on a ghostwriting job and since i don't have to do it for a living any more, i offer not only lower than the going pro rates, but also arrange for monthly payments, if the client can't afford the standard half up front and balance on completion... email me, if you'd like to discuss your needs...

it may be that you can write it the best you're able and i can simply do a rewrite, which would be much less costly... you can read feedback from clients and those i've mentored over the years on my website, that's linked below...

love and healing hugs, maia
maia3maia@hotmail.com
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

seasons364
Private E-1

Postby seasons364 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:14 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:57 am

The test of a ghostwriter is not what they charge, it's what they've done. Unless that ghostwriter can show you at least one book that sold to a good publisher, you're dealing with an amateur. Anyone can write a book and charge you $5,000 or more for doing so. Anyone. Very few can write a book that's worth five cents.

And what they charge should be determined by what it costs them to live during the writing of the book, with a little profit added, not by an arbitrary figure like five thousand dollar. I can write some types of novels in a month, but a longer, more complicated novel may take four months. A memoir takes at least three months. A good, full-length autobiography will take at least six months. Even a mediocre ghostwriter should charge five thousand per month of work, not a five thousand flat fee, unless they know they can write the book, and write it very well, in a month.

You should never tell a potential ghostwriter what your project is until after you determine that you are dealing with a true professional, and the fact that the person charges for writing a book in no way makes them a professional. What makes a ghostwriter a professional is what happens to the book after it's written. A "ghostwriter" who has never written a book that went far and did good things is not a professional. They're just someone willing to take your money for doing something they have no talent or experience to do well.

I never ghostwrite anything unless a publishing contract is already in place, but if I did, I still have to live, and couldn't legitimately charge less than five thousand per month of writing. I actually get more than that, but a ghostwriter who charges less is probably not worth having.

The thing is, you;re the one who should be asking questions. The ghostwriter should ask no questions until after you've established that you're dealing with a professional who has a proven track record, in both writing books that go far, and in ethics. Only after you decide you've found a ghostwriter you want should you answer any of their questions. No pro would ever take your idea to write a book of their own. This is completely unethical, and should be against the rules of any association.

Anyway, this is why YOU should be the one asking the questions, and the ghostwriter should be the one answering the, right up to the point where you know you are dealing with a true professional. You obviously were not.

Don't assume an association, a guild, or any organization is made up of professionals. Many are not.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:51 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Return to FAQs