[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Yes or No : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Yes or No

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

Yes or No

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:18 am

I am editing my family history novel and am perplexed as to how I should write the following:

Joseph could tell there was something wrong with the Launs. OR Joseph could tell there was something wrong with the Laun's. The family name is Laun singular, but in the sentence there seems to be no possession so what is the rule? :roll:
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

pls
Site Admin

Re: Yes or No

Postby pls » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:36 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:54 am

it's not a matter of a possessive, only a plural... and the plural of 'Laun' would be 'Launs'... just as the plural of 'smith' would be 'smiths'... if the name is 'jones' however, it would be 'joneses'...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:48 pm

My ex wife bought a sign to hang outside our front door that said "The McDonagh's." I asked her which one of us was "The McDonagh" and why it was only her house. I'm the only male in the household, and I assumed she was not paying for a sign to commemorate my sole ownership. :D

On a side note, tbh I'd change "there was something wrong with" to "something was wrong with." I have a thing about unnecessary "to be" formulations (though it could be a personal fetish more than anything).

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your help and explanation. Mookey it's probably just a matter of semantics. I guess you like less verbiage. :lol:

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:39 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 pm

hey, mook, i have to ask... did you go through 'ay' to 'double-u' wives, before acquiring the 'ex' one? ;)
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:55 am

Dear God no. But I sure can't call her an "A-wife" either. ROFL

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:18 am

Multi-marriages have always confused me. Maybe you can explain it, Mooky. If a guy marries three times, is his second wife called a mid-wife? And why is the mid-wife always delivering other peoples' babies instead of having her own? :?
[imge=3509-3]

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:45 am

James, your last reason to prologue is interesting. I have a question. At present, I am using an Introduction in my family history novel. As it is based on true happenings in the life of my grandmother (1900 to 1945) I felt it necessary to give a reason for writing and that SOME names and places have been changed to protect the innocent. Without posting that Introduction/Prologue,is there a difference between that and a Prologue Also it is important to note that names and places have been changed. Is there some other place to put such information? What are the differences?
L

Next

Return to FAQs