[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Running out of time : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Running out of time

Oldtimer
Colonel

Running out of time

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Two days ago, "Staying Alive" was rejected again. :( I found another agency and re-submitted but, after the e-mail had been sent I thought I must be crazy. Why do I keep trying? I am 78 already. If either of the two agencies to whom I have submitted the first 10,000 words likes my story, how long will it take them to ask for a full? How long after that for them to place it? How long for the manuscript to be edited and published? It must be two years at the very least and by then I'll be 80+. Who knows if I'll still be around? Much as I would like my novel traditionally published, time is against me. If "Staying Alive" has not found an agent or publisher by the time I finish writing its sequel, I have decided to self-publish. What have I got to lose?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Running out of time

Postby robjvargas » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:02 pm

More self-esteem.

Look, I don't think you meant it this way, but don't self-publish because you don't have anything to lose. Most people are wrong when they think that way.

Self-publish because you genuinely believe in the work, believe it's ready to go, and you honestly believe it has an audience out there.

I get what you said about age, but writing is an art. Publishing isn't. It's not going to be much of a psychotherapy, either. It's a business. If people don't buy your book, are you going to take it to heart like you appear to be doing with traditional publishers/agents? If you are, then you're inviting failure. People are going to buy it, or they won't.

You have to decide NOT what's left to lose, but whether self-publishing is the journey you want to take.

And I wish you the best no matter what that answer may be.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:08 pm

You have nothing to lose, Dorothy, considering that time is not on your side (mine either). I self published because stories were piling up, and I didn't feel like sending out queries for the six novels in the high school series while dealing with two more stories. So I tossed my six stories into the market, relieved myself of a burden, sold a few copies, and went on to other projects freed of restraints. Whether you want to do the same thing is up to you.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Thank you, Rob and pls, for the encouragement. Oh, dear, I seem to have come across as dispirited and throwing in the towel, whereas I thought I was just being practical. I DO believe my story is worth telling, so I'll keep plugging on. Maybe I'll wait until I've written the third book before I self-pub. By that time, I'll probably be nearing ninety! :shock: :D
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:26 pm

Don't let anyone tell you not to do it. Especially not me. :lol:

Just have your eyes open. There's a lot that goes into releasing a book. That's all on you if you do it. And bookstores still seem unfriendly to the idea of giving shelf space to self-pubbed works. It's definitely an uphill climb.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:45 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've submitted to two places? You're just getting started. And you shouldn't be waiting for a response before submitting to others. Make a list of places to submit and send out 10 queries at a time. Also, have you had your query letter critiqued? That's so important, because it's what gets your foot in the door.

But no, don't self-publish because of "panic" or impatience. There are a lot of good reasons to self-publish, but those aren't among them.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Dorothy,

How do you know the fountain of youth won't be discovered in the next couple of days, weeks, months, or years? You could be running around like a toddler in 2020 for all you know, and live, just like old whatshisface, well into your 800s!

Onward Mrs! Onward! :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas Dot, good to see you are fighting the good fight.
(((hugs)))
Elizabeth

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:22 pm

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Last edited by Oldtimer on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions