Which type of marketing is better?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Which type of marketing is better?

Postby mammamaia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:56 am

for best results, you should market it any and every way you can...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:05 am

The first thing I noticed is that in your signature you posted a link to a self publish site and not to your book. Why wouldn't you put the link to your book or website in your signature? Either you are spamming us or not really trying to promote your book.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:40 am

I sent her a warning to remove the sig immediately.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

kdaniel171
Private E-1

Postby kdaniel171 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:11 am

Social media marketing is the best thing. However, I would suggest you to use every possible way.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:47 am

Just make sure none of the marketing you do comes across as spam. Other than this, there really is no "best". You have to throw it all at the wall, and hope some of it sticks.

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:56 pm

I have to disagree with the others. Marketing is very important and there is plenty of information available on how to do it effectively. If we're putting in the effort to create a novel worthy of publication, we're planning on selling it. Marketing is one of those things that should be considered before, not after, publication.

I had to consider it carefully, because I'm unable to market it on my own much. Because of that, I can't self-publish. Self-publish means doing your own marketing -- all of it. If we're just writing and then self-publishing so we can call ourselves "authors," it doesn't matter, (although I don't consider anyone an author until he/she makes money from the writing.) But throwing it against the wall isn't what James does. James has publishers (and probably an agent) that worries about the marketing while he worries about the writing.

There are effective methods to market books. One isn't hitting different writer's sites, asking how to market, and then adding links in signatures. I'm not against adding links to books in signatures, but the only people who will be checking the links are people who learn something useful from something the author wrote, and they are then checking out the book because of that. Ask how to market and then include a link to the novel just suggest the person doesn't know what he/she is doing, so it's not likely a good novel.

If we're publishing, we need to know how we want to publish before hand. Otherwise, it was a waste of money to publish, unless, as I said before, it's just to say, "I've written a book."

Anyone who wants to self-publish and have the book sell, should learn how to market a book before publishing it, so they can hit the road running.
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Note - I removed the original post and banned the poster for a spam link in her sig which she failed to remove. So be it.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Return to Conversation question