[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do not like the codes. : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do not like the codes.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
robjvargas
Captain

Re: Do not like the codes.

Postby robjvargas » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:21 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:29 am

Code didn't work. I banned 25 users this morning. The only difference is, out of the 25, only 3 posted more than once.

bupaje
Sergeant

Postby bupaje » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:52 am

One of the most popular of these spam products can actually read many types of captcha - unfortunately.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:15 am

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS CRAP. You mean every time you want to post you must use a code? That is ridiculous. Other sites use codes to enter the site, not while one Is on the site every time you want to post. Who is the smart one? ? who thought up this brain child? It is the most asinine way to work a very popular site that I ever saw, and admittedly, I'm not a guru, but there MUST BE SOME OTHER WAY TO STOP SPAM THAN HAVE A REGISTERED LONG TIME USER USE A CODE EVERY TIME THEY WANT TO POST. AM I ANGRY? YES INDEED I AM. :mrgreen:
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

bupaje
Sergeant

Postby bupaje » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:32 am

Unfortunately some of the existing spam software can read captchas a lot of the time - and judging by the fact that some spams are starting in again that is likely what is going on. Also in some regions labor is so cheap, and the returns from spamming/phishing/malware takeovers so lucrative, that they can do something like Amazon's Mechanical Turk and just put a lot of cheap warm bodies to create accounts.

I think what needs to be done is freeze new membership altogether while they put something like Incapsula in the middle. It gets the call to the web site, cleans out any known spammers, challenges any syuspicious ones with a captcha and then allows the connection to the forum. It is transparent to most users, and usually the only people who see a challenge page are bots or people with known bad IP's. The rest won't even see a captcha. The benefit is that as a security company they will always be updated to whatever new trick the spammers are trying.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:56 am

sheesh!

if this is to be SOP for this site from now on, i'll be looking for another site to replace this in my daily posting regimen...

NO other writing site i've ever been to in the past 15 years has found it necessary to go to such draconian lengths in order to keep the site from being overrun [and made too much of a hassle for members to use] by spammers...

this is the death blow to the forum, imo...

i know you and brian are doing what you can to make things better, paul, but this doesn't do it for me and, i suspect, for most of my fellow members...

have either of you contacted the top echelon of the parent company yet, as i suggested in one of the other threads on this issue?... if you have, what was their response?... if you haven't, why not?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am

btw, it took me 2 tries to get the code right on the prior post!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:02 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

bupaje
Sergeant

Postby bupaje » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 am

The short fix would probably be to prevent new people from registering while something else is put in place. This reduces the frustration of both forum users and adminstrators while a little thought and time is put into a workable solution. My 2 cents.

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs