[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QUOTATION MARKS : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

QUOTATION MARKS

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: QUOTATION MARKS

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Do not use quotation marks for thoughts. Quotation marks have a couple of uses, but this is not one of them. They're not only unnecessary, they're confusing to any reader who knows the rules of usage. There simply is no case where using quotation marks for thoughts is a good idea, or proper usage, no matter who does it.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:28 pm

You would place "Hex" in quotation marks if it isn't a real hex, but just ordinary events that you're comparing to a hex. If it's a real hex, real magic, real supernatural, if you mean a real hex, you would not use the quotation marks.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Oh my, thank you so very much for all your help. My grandmother was a very strong woman for all she had to go through. Since the story is so strong and their thoughts so revealing, I want to make sure I use the right punctuation. So again, thanks for all the help it is much appreciated. :) Oh and I'll be sure to look up Purdue Owl and take care of the comma deletion Paul mentioned. You are wonderful helpers.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:51 am

ditto putting a hex on italics for thoughts! :twisted:
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Very few thoughts should be direct thoughts at all, but simply part of the narrative. Such things as: He thought he'd stop by and see Kelly before her shift was over, if he had time. While driving, he couldn't help thinking about how her husband was kill, and it still puzzled him. How could a man with that much experience in using explosives make such a stupid and amateur mistake? He found it hard to believe, and a part of his mind was always thinking about it....

Such as this should never be italicized, but with a direct thought there should be importance, and italics have always been the standard way of using such thoughts. If a character thinks something dramatic enough to be written as a direct thought, italicize it. If you don't, the editor almost certainly will, unless he misses it, in which case a lot of readers will be miffed.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 pm

I agree with James.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

updog