[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QUOTATION MARKS : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

QUOTATION MARKS

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

QUOTATION MARKS

Postby LilliesCarol » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:26 pm

Do you put quotation marks around something a person in thinking? I suddenly got writer's block or is it just old age creeping up on me? :roll:
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: QUOTATION MARKS

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 pm

L
Private E-1

Postby L » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks you Terry, you're a dream come true with such a fast answer. :)

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:49 pm

you certainly can use quotation marks around thoughts, such as: I thought, "Did he think I was that big of an idiot?"

or you can use italics: Did he think I was that big of an idiot?

Or it can be clear from context, and you might not need either:

The salesman said, "You can purchase the extended warranty for only $638.75."

Did he think I was that big of an idiot? I snorted and shook my head.

IMO, the first choice is worst and last choice is best.

But please do not combine both of the first two:
I thought, "Did he think I was that big of an idiot?"

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:51 am

Here are two examples of what I am trying to figure out. They are from my novel based on the true story of my grandmother and due to the circumstances of my grandfather's apparent mental problem causing the heavy drinking, there is much contemplation on both sides. The novel is completely written and I am now attempting for the third time to edit it ready for publication. I appreciate all the help I can get.

She let the tears flow silently as she went down the stairs.

Why should this horrible ‘hex’ be upon him, he is so good when he doesn't drink. Is it the hex or is it the drinking, that can make him so mean and say such terrible awful things, like wanting to kill himself? That is not God’s way, that is the way of the devil, maybe that’s why he says it’s a devil hex. Oh dear God in heaven, help my William.

Anna laid down on the kitchen cot her mind full of anguish. Would the bad drinking begin again? He promised his Pa that "If you give us this farm, I will try not to let the 'hex mood' get me drunk. I know I can't hold my liquor like you, Pa, it's the bad things in my head that make me drink to get rid of them."

In another section:

She knew William was watching her, even though he pretended not to pay attention.

Look how my Anna’s breasts are beginning to swell. I love her so deeply, and with a new baby, how will I control this damn demon inside of me. “IT” plays such tricks on my thinking. Always, I should kill myself. Then other days, like today, I am so glad to be with my little Anna. Sometime though, I know “IT” will kill me. But when. I wonder when?
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:17 am

I don't think you need any quotes in what I read. As an option, you could throw in some italics for emphasis. Just don't over do them.

As a side note, check out Purdue Owl on punctuation with help on commas. I see areas that could use them.

I like what I read so far. Keep up the great work. :D

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:18 am

I would change nothing in the two examples. They are correct as-is, and there's no problem in distinguishing thoughts from other parts of the narrative.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:03 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:58 am

And it's "lay down", not "laid down", while we're at it.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Next

Return to FAQs