Another famous author who Outlines...

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Another famous author who Outlines...

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:07 pm

My daughter and I went into NYC today to see author Rick Riordan speak. He just released the latest book in his Percy Jackson series. My daughter loves his work and continually writes fan fiction as well as all her own stuff. Riordan gave an entertaining 45 minute presentation. He had the pre-teen, early teen group of mostly girls all a flutter with laughter and screams. You'd think he was one of the Beatles. He revealed he is an outliner... actually he called it 'mapping'. He says it's the best way he can handle all the information he has to juggle. He taught the method to students as a teacher and employs it as an author. He did say that the process is fluid and apt to plenty of changes but he adheres to the mapping method in how he structures the chapters in his book. He also mentioned that he never read anything in school. He hated reading. The only book he really liked (besides comics) was, The Lord of the Rings. He didn't start to read until he was much older.

Just thought I'd share those tidbits that a successful author shared with the crowd.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Another famous author who Outlines...

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:47 am

From what I can tell, almost half of all successful writers outline to some extent. Some a great deal (I used to know a famous writer who wrote outlines that were actually longer than the novel.), some only with a page or so of notes, but that's still in the outline camp.

I'm not a big Riordan fan, but it has nothing to do with his writing method. His writing is fine, but I'm just not a Percy Jackson fan.

Return to Conversation question