[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Which software do you use for writing? : Writing Space • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Which software do you use for writing?

Here you can post a picture of you in your writing space.
ChaoticoCh
Private E-1

Which software do you use for writing?

Postby ChaoticoCh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:15 am

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie writer and just wonder which software do you use for writing books/short stories? Does it matter to you at all?
What about distraction-free and minimalist writing apps? Have you tried them? Do they help you concentrate on what you are writing?
Thanks.
:-)

pls
Site Admin

Re: Which software do you use for writing?

Postby pls » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:39 am

Microsoft Word. Period.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:45 am

Atlantis Nova free version. Few bells and whistles (ie, distractions), basically a glorified typewriter (which worked very well for a few writers).
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 am

MS Word, primarily.

If I'm just experimenting a little, I'll use , or .

I don't like writing software. Almost all of it is designed for the writer who outlines and maps their work. I don't. Rough Draft is about as minimalist a writing program as I could find, but even it is built for the outliner.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

L4_LFC
Private E-1

Postby L4_LFC » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:08 pm

I use Scrivener. I really like how it is set up and it lets me keep all of my thoughts, research and chapters organized.

123count
Private E-1

Postby 123count » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 am

Why not try Notepad and a word counter software.
Just ensure you click on Format-Word Wrap
so words are properly aligned.
You can use it as a document or for HTML purposes.

bupaje
Sergeant

Postby bupaje » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:01 pm

I'm using PageFour right now. It's pretty basic - think everything is rtf behind the scene- but you can sort things into notebooks (i.e. My Cool Story 1) and folders > sub-folders > pages. You can archive, export merged pages, search, backup, snapshot (quick save before making a change in case you want to go back).

Grumpy Whiny Old Man
Private E-1

Postby Grumpy Whiny Old Man » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Microsoft Office/Word 2013. I've tried a number of different programs, but for ease of editing, submission, and final product, it can't be beat. I liked scrivener because of the index card view, but in the end whatever was written has to be exported in a useable format. Same with Write It Now, and all the others. I'm comfortable with Word because I've been using it for a lot of years, and just think writing in one format just to change it to something else for a usable file is a waste of time. Yes, there are those of you who prefer Scrivener or some other package, and I'm not dissing you, just expressing my preference.
Write on!

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:28 pm

I prefer writing in longhand, but I'm having to use the computer more and more. For anything short, I use Q10, a true minimalist word processor with automatic word count, and with good old typewriter sounds to go with it. It's full screen, and I use green font. Just like the good old days.

For anything long, I use MS Word. I think I've tried everything out there, but nothing comes close to Word.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Next

Return to Writing Space