[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Strangest Research Question You've Ever Asked : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Strangest Research Question You've Ever Asked

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
atwhatcost
Sergeant

Strangest Research Question You've Ever Asked

Postby atwhatcost » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:01 am

To write my novel, I've had to call our street's department to learn which sections of my city have collections on which days. (They include the sanitation department and didn't even know, but I worked it out.) I had to find out where our trash goes. And, I've even had to find out where bus drivers stop to grab coffee.

But, I just asked the strangest question yet. I've had to ask two businesses in the area where they get the snapping turtles they use for snapper soup. (If they're locally bought, I was out of luck. If they came from far away, I could still use the reference.)

So, what are some of the stranger questions you've asked for researching your stories? Also, isn't it amazing that "I'm writing a novel and need to know..." works so often over the phone? Why are people so willing to answer such bizarre questions? :o
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Strangest Research Question You've Ever Asked

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:49 pm

1.) Does it cost more over the long run to wear boxers or briefs, and how much might the average male save over the course of his lifetime by wearing one instead of the other?

2.) Is it legal to embalm a family member yourself, at home (provided, of course, that you have their permission beforehand), and how much might that save in funeral expenses?

3.) Is it possible to rent sex toys rather than buy them, and, if so, how much would the average American save by renting them over the course of their lifetime?

Yep. Welcome to my world. Never a dull day here at Ultimate Cheapskate World Headquarters.
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Lynn

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:44 pm

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Oh Cheap, you crack me up. :roll:
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 pm

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:02 pm

The Rule of Three

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 am

3.) Would you want to rent? Where has that toy been? :o

[/quote]

I'm speechless about number 3. I got nothing. :o[/quote]

I have a large selection, still in their original boxes. :-([/quote]

You could always start a side business renting them out.[/quote]

If you're so inclined, try Googling the topic and you might be surprised. It's true: You can find anything on the web! Here's the link to the article I wrote that prompted me to do this important research: http://www.gobankingrates.com/personal- ... -can-rent/
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:22 pm

:lol:
Lynn

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Kind of a corresponding question. Do people ever sell used sex toys? What would the classified ads be like? Used only once by a virgin schoolteacher.

Somewhere in here, a great short story is waiting. Who wants to write it?

Next

Return to Conversation question