[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Showing vs. Telling : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Showing vs. Telling

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: Showing vs. Telling

Postby DrG2 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:32 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:20 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:21 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:27 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:54 am

I think Cowboy's examples were spot on. Even in show, you've still gotta tell us the guy is sweating, and that the crown burns his forehead. That's how we know it's hot. But in Cowboy's examples these details are shown through the character. We see how the character reacts to this situation. We're in his head more.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:35 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 pm

kentsmith9
Private E-2

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:17 pm

I agree with DrG2's last two posts, and I think the examples are very well matched to this topic.
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:24 pm

~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Perhaps there isn't a "Showing vs. Telling," at all.

If "telling" is declarative, then all the examples presented are telling.
"Showing" is meant word-paint a picture for your reader, but you are still telling the reader what is seen, perceived, felt, or said.

Consider the pace of your story, as well. Sometimes the right words conveying the intended mood and cadence are best written in simple, declarative prose.

I'd argue that great writers both tell and show.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question