[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Interesting article : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Interesting article

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Interesting article

Postby Brien Sz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 am

I came across an interesting article about advances and whether the money was worth the investment:

http://flavorwire.com/472955/debut-nove ... w/view-all

onceuponwednesday
Major

Re: Interesting article

Postby onceuponwednesday » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:10 am

The Rule of Three

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:25 am

Whenever the topic of advances comes up, there's always a little confusion on some people's part who insist that a book is not successful/profitable if the author fails to earn out his advance. While this can be the case with some books that paid out a huge advance and sold very few copies, there are plenty of books that are profitable for all involved (i.e. the publisher, agent, and author), even though enough copies aren't sold to the point of the author earning out his advance. In those cases it just means that the author was paid more than the publisher would have liked, but that doesn't necessarily mean the book isn't profitable for the publisher.
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:04 pm

~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:58 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:45 pm

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:32 pm

The part that confuses me is why do publishers offer that much to debut writers? It seems to me, even if I thought I were the next J.K. Rowling and the publisher agreed, the publisher could still offer me the usual small advance and what do I really know that I would refuse it?

What happened that these debut authors were offered so much? Was there a bidding war?
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

Return to Conversation question