[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Article on Writer's Block : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Article on Writer's Block

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
NightFall
Corporal

Re: Article on Writer's Block

Postby NightFall » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Thank you all! I will give it a try. And thanks Mooky for the warning, LOl! I ask an innocent question and get a heavy response LOL!

Thanks for all the good suggestions. And your right, I think it's my lack of focus. Hmm..

Mammamia, sorry if I mispelled your name, I posted this question to hopefully see if it gets noticed and used for a future article of WD magazine. No rule breaking intended. I didn't even know that was a rule. :lol:

Thanks again you guys! You guys rock! :D

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:15 pm

Lynn

Working on my first novel.

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Lynn

Working on my first novel.

NightFall
Corporal

Postby NightFall » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:19 pm

LOL!! :lol:

Thanks so much for the info Lynn! I know where the story will go, it's how to connect the pieces to get there that has me stuck. :(

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:17 pm

I like Crono91's suggestion. It works. Something else I do is to go somewhere similar to where a scene is taking place and write it there. I've written in malls, restaurants, office buildings, parking garages, neighborhood streets, parks, and even in the many model rooms in Ikea when a scene takes place in a room in someone's house. Many writers would consider this ridiculous and a waste of time and I understand that. Writing is a lot of fun for me and things like this keep it that way. It helps put me in the scene and adds a feeling of authenticity.

I enjoy Writer's Digest forums. Folks here take writing seriously, so what I'm about to say is not directed toward the OP or anyone else here. I don't know what "real writer's block" is. In all humility, knowing that I'm the most imperfect person on earth, and I say this only as a fact -- I've never experienced writer's block. I refuse to consider it because I think many writers talk themselves into getting it and it becomes an outside force that's easy to blame. In my opinion, writing is just hard work. Period. You sit down and work through it.

Here's where I get blunt and completely honest. I spent time on other writing forums before landing here. I seriously doubt whether many of the people on them actually write anything at all. They come across as absolute wannabes. They're full of folks who love watching TV and movies and will suddenly have a random thought, "Hey! Wouldn't it be cool if that guy turned out to be a vampire later on!?" Then they think, "I should totally write something like that!" But, that's the end of it. They don't know how to turn that thought into a story or how to write it. I don't believe that many of the people on writing forums actually write. They're busy in the social and game threads. Many are always complaining about writer's block, or something else, and never writing. They focus on world building and character names and what they'd like it to be about, but that's where it all ends - ideas and a few notes. It would be different if they actually wrote something but I'm convinced most of them don't. Instead, they call it writer's block.

The way most people talk about writer's block, in my opinion, is simply the romanticized stereotype of (back of hand on forehead) the tortured writer. It goes along with heavy drinking, pipe smoking and tweed jackets with elbow patches. Again, forgive my bluntness, but I've always wanted to express this. It's been my experience, and yes, it contains assumptions, but I believe it's true.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:42 pm

I don't get writers' block, real or imagined, but I have hit a wall at some point in almost every novel I've written. It's not the "I don't know what to write" wall, it's the "This story is so stupid why would anyone ever want to read it I suck" wall. And it happens every time.
But then I get over it. :mrgreen:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:57 pm

I never get writer's block, but sometimes I'm a wuss.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Previous

Return to Conversation question