[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Article on Writer's Block : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Article on Writer's Block

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
NightFall
Corporal

Article on Writer's Block

Postby NightFall » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:00 am

NightFall
Corporal

Need help: Chronic Writer's Block!

Postby NightFall » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:05 am

I'm so frustrated! I feel like writing but I can't come up with ideas to continue my new story, which I only wrote about 3 or 4 pages. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is coming out of my brain. I'm tired of waiting it out till I get good ideas.

Any advice, info and tips is greatly appreciated! ANYTHING! That is how chronic my writer's block is. :cry:

MookyMcD
Captain

Re: Article on Writer's Block

Postby MookyMcD » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:02 am

You are about to get inundated with people telling you there's no such thing as writer's block, so I'm in here first to say that (while I haven't actually gone through it, yet) I just listened to Kurt Vonnegut's son talking about his father's bouts of it, one of which lasted a year. It was, apparently a specter that hung over him constantly -- he was always certain the tap would turn off as soon as he was finished with his current project.

That said, I noticed that he never had an issue when he was actually working on a project. So some of them may have taken him a year to start, but once started he seemed to be fine.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:39 am

Have you ever worked on a puzzle before?

Sometimes you'll be working on the left corner, and you just sit there, staring, trying to force pieces in, but nothing will fit. It drives you insane, because you obsess over it when nothing works, and no solution comes about. That's what writer's block is, I'm guessing.

To get around that, you need to begin working on other parts of the puzzle, which will help jump start your brain.

Work on characters,
environment,
chapter 14 plot,
their powers, if it's that kind of fiction,
what kind of car they drive,
their favorite place to hang out.

Eventually, as you keep thinking of these other things, they will start to connect with one another, forming the puzzle.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:44 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:49 am

max2011
Captain

Re: Need help: Chronic Writer's Block!

Postby max2011 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:08 am

maybe if you put your main character in a differnt situation that has nothing to do with your book will bring back the creativity. You can have them enter the same Starbuck's as you and tell what's happening. Sometimes, it's not writer's block that prevents us from writing, but a lack of focus.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Need help: Chronic Writer's Block!

Postby mammamaia » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:20 am

posting virtually the same thread in more than one place is frowned upon at best and may be a breach of site rules, as well...

besides which, it's best to have all responses in one place, isn't it?... i strongly suggest you ask the moderator of this section to combine the two...
Last edited by mammamaia on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Merged. Please continue.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:03 pm

I came across an exercise once that helped me. I didn't have writer's block, per se, but rather felt like I couldn't get the ball rolling even though I had the story idea.

Anyway, pick up your favorite book, favorite author, and just start copying his or her text. Of course, you're not going to use it, or even save it, but it could help you get a rhythm going that helps you break through this spell.

Why don't you write the article? Maybe that will help you get over your block. As has been said, the best way to get through it is to write your way through it.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

Next

Return to Conversation question