[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the question : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the question

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
atwhatcost
Sergeant

Re: Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the questi

Postby atwhatcost » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Lynn

Working on my first novel.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:56 am

'statics' is an amusingly apt misspelling there! ;)
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:37 pm

I love to title my chapters because it helps me to focus it and plot it on the story line. I do the same thing with scenes in a play. However, I cut them before anyone sees them. They often only make sence to me and either confuse the reader, set-up misguided expectations in the readers head, or tip my hand. As much as I enjoy creating them, I know I must cut them.
Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:02 am

I'd do it in a heartbeat if the project called for them. Neither my MS or WIP does, but I could certainly envision one that did. I don't know that there is an answer to this question beyond a case-by-case answer.

Although I keep finding that's the way with a lot of these things.

Swallow90
Private E-1

Postby Swallow90 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:00 am

I'm writing a YA novel and have numbered the chapters as I'm writing and then will give them titles on the second draft when I've moved things around a bit.
As a reader, I like a quirky chapter title, particularly song lyrics etc, or something a bit cryptic.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:28 am

avoid song lyrics unless you can afford to pay for their use, or they're in the public domain...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm reading the first "Percy Jackson" book and every chapter has a "spoiler" title.

kentsmith9
Private E-2

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:25 am

For my current (first) novel, I decided to use the date as my chapter markers. Since so much happens in a day around the world, I thought it was helpful to the reader to know for sure when we had moved to the next day. That way when I returned to a scene in one location vs another, I would not have to blend in something to the scene about the day change every single time. The chapter marker automatically did that for me, keeping it more streamlined in my view.

If that turns out to be a newbie writer mistake, I can certainly make adjustments easily enough, but I think it helps me unfold the story one day at a time. ;)

Within the chapters between scenes, I am just using a second double space gap. That seemed to be common enough in this genre.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:28 am

dating the chapters is fine... often done for such storylines...

but 'line breaks' within the chapter should not have any blank lines or extra lines... should only have a single # placed in the center of the line between scenes...

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question