[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the question : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the question

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the questi

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:18 pm

No, they aren't terribly rare in adult fiction. A lot more novels don't have them than do, but they're still reasonably common. Like anything else, do them well, and no agent or editor will blink. Do them, or anything else, poorly, and and with or without chapter titles, you're in trouble.

The main reason I've never used chapter titles, even in MG, is that darned if I want to do that much extra work.

atwhatcost
Sergeant

Postby atwhatcost » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:26 pm

I've never been big on story titles or chapter titles. From what I hear, if the publisher has problems with them, they'll let you know and even feel free to change either or both.

That said, oddly enough, I have titled each chapter of my MG novel. I picked song titles or revamped song titles. (The first chapter's title is "Banned on the Run" to show how I might revamp.) They do tell something of what the chapter is about, but the only way the reader will get it is to read the chapter. For instance, one of the chapters is titled "Hound Dog." That's where the stuffed basset hound joins in the story. Another one is "Alice's Restaurant." Considering most MGers won't know old songs, I doubt many will get the connection, but in that part of the story, they meet a male teddy bear named Alice in a dump. (If you don't know the song, you also won't get the humor of that one. lol)

I'm also fine with if the publisher tells me nix all the titles. As long as you're aware that publishers might tell you to skip titles, why not? They don't turn away books, simply because chapters have titles.
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Vaterstix
Private E-1

Postby Vaterstix » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm all for either. I think it depends on the writer and the story. I find it fun to come up with chapter titles but I found that when I titled chapters before writing, I let those titles dictate where the story led. So, when I started writing my current book, I decided to forego those titles and figured I might come up with better ones after I finished the book. In the end, I decided to not name the chapters. No real good reason to be honest.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:01 pm

~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:23 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Following are the first 25 chapter titles for my recently completed novel. The title of the second clearly orients the reader after the prologue. Not really a spoiler among them. I think some of them will put the reader in a frame of mind that expects a certain thing, which I either fulfill or twist.

This Looks Like Bottom
Twelve Years Later, Still One Day At a Time
Love is Patient
Old Friends Know Too Damn Much
Don't Know Nothin' 'Bout Birthin' Puppies
Turn, Turn, Turn
Very Little Romance
The Only One I Love
Keeping Options Open
People Get Ready
Shooting Stick
Let's Have Another Bar Fight