[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the question : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the question

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the question

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:51 am

I was wondering about whether people titled chapters or didn't? Does it matter? Do agents care one way or another? I have done with and without. In submitting, is best to 'not' to have the chapters titled? Not to confuse the point, I mean something along the lines of... Chapter One - An Unfortunate Occurrence

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Title a chapter or not title a chaper,that is the questi

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:07 pm

I've seen published books with and without. I don't think it matters, at least at submission time. If the agent/publisher has a problem with it, they'll mention it.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:13 pm

My personal preference, as a reader, is to not have them. I don't want any clues as to what's about to happen. I want to experience the story as it unfolds. I do like quotes at the beginning of chapters, though.

Since there usually are exceptions to everything, I do like chapter titles in YA and children's books. Every kid I know likes them, too.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Most novels do not use them, but it's a personal choice. My only problem with titles is that the writer too often turns them into spoilers.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:32 pm

I write YA.

Coming up with titles is a lot of fun for me in general, so I like making chapter titles. I also like books with chapter titles. It's something to chew on--it's a hook.

I do prefer shorter chapter titles, though. I don't like titles that take up two lines.

I would just say it's not distracting--it's complimentary. And as James said, don't give away any spoilers! Which usually helps if you keep them short.

Jackson Becomes the New King
Becoming the New King
King

The latter is more of a better chapter title, in my opinion.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:35 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:04 am

I never title my chapters. Don't see a need for it. I do try to provide some kind of a hook at the end of each chapter, if possible, to lead the reader right into the next chapter, so anything more than "Chapter Ten" at the top of the next page would be a distraction.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:36 am

it's done in children's books and some YA, but is not the norm for the adult market... if you're not going to self-publish, i'd advise not using them for an adult market novel, as that may make you and your ms appear amateurish to agents and publishers, narrowing your chances of being taken seriously...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Next

Return to Conversation question