[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:40 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:52 am

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:57 am

James, aside from one novel, Harlan Coben said when he sits to write, he knows his beginning and he knows his end, he just needs to figure out how to get from one end to the other. The one novel he didn't know the end for he said came to him somewhere roughly 150 pages ( I forget the exact amount - maybe 180, not sure) into the manuscript when one of the characters revealed it to him.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks for your responses everyone. Hearing how much you write, and how much you can write when you push yourself, has been helpful.

I wanted to add a little context to this thread. I started it because I was reading a recent thread that had died just as I got there. I posted this blog post there but the thread died and it didn't receive any responses. Add to that that I had expressed to James that I really want to make a living from my writing. He's been helping by answering my questions and educating me.

If you want to make a living writing, it takes a lot of writing. Pure and simple. Discipline is important. You learn how to multitask effectively, if you freelance. If you want to make a living from writing novels, it's going to take more than a novel or two a year. He showed me how it's possible to write a novel a month. It was an illustration to help me understand how much writing can be involved if you want to make a living doing it.

That's how this thread came to be. It wasn't intended as a silly topic or born out of an over-achieving wannabe's unrealistic fantasy. Naturally, not everyone can, should, or wants to write 10,000 words a day, five days a week. Everyone's writing dreams are different. Mine is to make a living from my writing, preferably novels, hence James' illustration.

In my 48 years on the planet, I've experienced everything from the mundane to the miraculous. You can be going about your normal routine for the longest time and suddenly, in the blink of an eye, everything's changed. I've experienced it time and again. I know what's possible in this world. I look for the bright side. I believe in big dreams. I'm corny enough to be encouraged by pep talks. I believe in hope. 10,000 words a day? It stretched the boundaries of my dream. Can I achieve it? I won't know until I try. Is it possible? Absolutely. Why wouldn't I try? Why not see what I'm capable of? Why keep mediocre expectations if I'm capable of more? <--- This paragraph is an example of my thought processes. I've had to learn how to encourage myself. I hate flattery and insincere encouragement, so I find the truth and ask, "Why not me?"
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:09 pm

I learned to outline in high school. I love it. It helped me to not only ace every essay and term paper (Toot!) I had to write in high school and college, but it helped me to write them very quickly. I wrote a senior history term paper that was due two days before graduation the night before it was due. When I got to school, I learned that one of my classmates, who was very smart but had been dealing with a very difficult personal situation, didn't write her paper and couldn't graduate without it. A woman in tears gets me every time so I wrote it for her during my lunch break and she graduated with the class. I got a B+ and she got an A-. (Toot!)

Outlining works for me. It's actually fun. (Geek!)

But I've read enough posts on different forums about the benefits of not outlining that I'm willing to give it a try. Why not? It won't hurt and the worst that can happen is that it will take me longer to write.

What I love about writing, and so many other things in life, is that there isn't any one "right" way to do it. It's open for exploration and personalization. And if you're open enough to learn and try new things, going into them with some excitement, and without bias, you never know what you can achieve or learn.
~ Cowboy

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:30 pm

~ Cowboy

kentsmith9
Private E-2

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 am

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:08 am

~ Cowboy

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question