[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Re: From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:08 pm

~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:31 am

Absolutely nothing wrong with writing 2-4k instead of 10. It's not a race, it's not a competition. You write at the pace that works for you. Period. I could write 40k in a day, but most of it would go out in the trash.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:12 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:20 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:11 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:46 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:03 pm

For me 7K a day is a very fast pace I might be able to keep up for a couple of weeks (with 1-2 slow days thrown in). I don't think I could write 10K a day on successive days, unless I was just spewing stream of consciousness.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:41 am

On Research - Harlan Coben was the keynote speaker Saturday night at the Writer's Digest Conference and he touched on the subject of research. He says he does none while writing. Research, to him, is a time suck (my paraphrase) that takes you away from writing. He says (again paraphrasing) his research comes after the writing is done to clean it up and even then...

He asked the audience - how many people outline? A bunch of hands went up. He asked, how many people just write? more hands than outliners went up. The answer to which is the proper method - whatever works for you.

He offered lots of other insightful and funny tidbits - one of the better speakers at the conference.

As for 2,000 to 10,000 in day - sure its possible but it takes a lot of discipline (in my estimation) or inspiration/motivation to such a degree that I have not experienced. My best word count day was something just over 6000 words. As part of my goal setting when I sit to write a novel is to track my daily word count on a calendar - works for me, helps keep me motivated.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:27 am

I can't imagine leaving research until the story is over. Good grief, basing a whole novel on faulty information? What a waste that would be!

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question