[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:24 am

I read the following blog post recently: How I Went From Writing 2,000 Words a Day to 10,000 Words a Day
http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.com/201 ... s-day.html

I'm interested to know what folks think about this article. (And, if I may say so, especially James.) I love learning. I'm always keen on improving myself, especially when it comes to writing.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: From 2,000 to 10,000 Words a Day

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 am

I would be interested to see if those 20k words were keepers or not. As to the advice, some people don't need an outline to be productive and having one doesn't necessarily change the time it takes to write; time - well, most writers don't have the luxury of choosing a "productive time" - any time they have for writing becomes productive; changing scenes so they aren't boring is a no-brainer. JMO, but people get too hung up on how many words they write per day. Some writers can pump out tons of good writing in a day; others work slowly but progressively; still others (and probably most, if they're honest) have highs and lows. I try for a given amount of time each day - but if real life interferes, I'm not going to shoot myself over it.

As to the site itself, seemed a rather thinly disguised advertisement for the book...
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:27 am

~ Cowboy

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:35 pm

Well, I think several things about it. 1. I think writing 10k per day is pretty easy for most writers, if they're able to put in as many hours as she does. I just can't think of a good reason to do so. I have a life. Five hours per day is more than enough for me. 2. Take a look at who her publisher is. 3. Read one of her books. 4. I think it's always wise to be very careful when someone's how-to book or website makes a bigger splash than his or her novels.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 pm

There was also enough information in her verbose article that rendered buying her how-to book unnecessary.

Neither the author nor her method interest me in the least. The concept of the article, however, does. I'm a geek. I strive to improve myself wherever possible. To put it bluntly, I would love to learn how to write a very good novel in less time. I know three novels a year is doable. I want to learn how to do it.
~ Cowboy

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:43 pm

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 pm

~ Cowboy

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:19 pm

I think I could easily write a novel a month if I'd write romance instead of fantasy. I have an endless supply of good romance stories in my brain, but it's just not where my heart lies. :(

When you put the numbers out there, 6200 words a week, that makes me realize how much time I waste NOT WRITING. If I sit down and write, I can comfortably do 4,000 words a day, and yet I only finish one or two novels a year. I think I need to lay off the Writers' Digest forums for a while. See what I accomplish. :shock:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question