[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Movies that made you want to go home and write. : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 pm

Which movies have you watched that, when it was over, made you think, "Wow. I loved that! I want to go write something that good right now."? It doesn't have to be a screenplay. I'm just wondering which movies had an impact on you in this way.

One of them, for me, is definitely The Spiderwick Chronicles. I absolutely love being taken back to the days when anything was possible simply because you believed. A world of adventure and possibilities was there, you just had to see it! The Spiderwick Chronicles always makes me want to lock the door, write, and not leave until the book is finished.

It will never make the AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies of All Time list, and it may not be as classic as Citizen Kane or Schindler's List, but I love it.
~ Cowboy

If you're so inclined, feel free to correct my punctuation. I'm relearning.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Re: Movies that made you want to go home and write.

Postby Crono91 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:01 pm

About Time.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:14 pm

The only movies that give me an urge to write are movies abut writers, such as Finding Forrester. Almost any movie about writers energizes me.

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:19 pm

~ Cowboy

DISCLAIMER: My posts are always my opinions, my thoughts and information based on my research. There are exceptions, and no one right way, to do everything.

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:19 pm

I don't know if a movie has ever made me want to go home and write, but one movie that I thought was brilliant and made me think about story construction is The Usual Suspects. That was the first movie I remember that truly surprised me at the end.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

Fictional Cowboy
Corporal

Postby Fictional Cowboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:29 pm

~ Cowboy

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 pm

Momento and Fight Club.
The Rule of Three

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:55 am

I love fun action movies. I usually get all excited to write action scenes or novels with a lot of action when I come home from a movie. I wrote a fun, over the top YA western before I even watched the Lone Ranger movie. I didn't see the movie first and get inspired though. I did follow the making of the movie while I wrote my western and was giddy counting down the days to the movies' release like a little kid. I can't tell you how much I loved that movie. What made watching The Lone Ranger even more exciting was I had my first full request on that manuscript on the same day as I went to see the movie. So the high I had that night while watching that movie I will never forget.

I have been totally into all the Marvel movies lately. I just took my youngest to see Guardians of the Galaxy tonight and it was a lot of fun. I really want to write some sort of superhero themed novel with my youngest. She has an incredible sense of humor, is starting to get into comic books, and is a fun writer.

I actually get wound up wanting to write just watching movie previews. Also I find my creativity feeds off of other people's creativity. I do the same thing with music, especially movie soundtracks.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:43 am

The first Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston. I remember seeing that as a kid the first time it aired on television. I was riveted. From then on I always wanted to write.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:34 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Next

Return to Conversation question