[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Where and when does your inspiration usually strike? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Where and when does your inspiration usually strike?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Jennifer.Lakhlani
Private E-1

Where and when does your inspiration usually strike?

Postby Jennifer.Lakhlani » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:56 am

My inspiration/motivation comes and goes in waves. When it strikes, it is usually late at night, into the early morning hours, when everyone else is sleeping. It has also been known to strike while I was at work (back when I worked alone, cleaning houses or for the hospital). Anytime I'm alone and able to get lost in my thoughts, with little to no distractions is my magical time. :D

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Where and when does your inspiration usually strike?

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:26 am

anywhere/everywhere... any time of the day or night... which is why i've always kept a pad and pen on my bed, so i can grab it in the dark and jot down whatever comes to me in a dream, or while waiting to fall asleep...

i even developed a way to write in the dark, so i won't have to wake up fully by turning on a light, can easily go back into the dream to finish the 'story'...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:28 am

Anywhere and everywhere, but I make a habit of sitting down to write five hours per day, so my Muse knows where to find me, and when I'll be there. This means inspiration strikes when I sit down to write.

Vaterstix
Private E-1

Postby Vaterstix » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 pm

To be honest, inspiration comes from me just living life. I'll get an idea after reading, watching a movie and/or TV, playing video games, cleaning the house, working on a puzzle, surfing the web and simply letting my mind roam. I find that I get a seed of an idea and from there I cultivate it and allow it to grow with time. I try not to force anything but let it naturally develop in my mind and as I write it out. My advice is always to set time aside to work on your craft but also allow time to step away and enjoy family, friends, hobbies and the world around you.

John Bakas
Private E-1

Postby John Bakas » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:15 am

I am writing a memoir about my wife. I dictate as I remember. While I always have the recorder handy, most memories come while driving, particularly during a 50-minute trip through rural Florida I take several days a week. It was drive we most always made together.

John

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:35 am

Yeah, that's a tough one to nail down. All over and whenever. I have recently implemented a writing schedule and do find the time is more productive than when I just tried haphazardly to fit the writing in to my day.

Only, this is my scheduled writing time, and here I am on the forum. Oops. Gotta run or the muse is gonna feel neglected and go take a nap.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

cosivantutte
Private First Class

Postby cosivantutte » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:19 pm

My inspiration can hit me any time of the day, but I seem to get my best writing done at two o'clock in the morning. Especially when I have to get up early for work the next day.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:38 am

I have two types of "inspiration" and they happen in two different places. If I'm walking (including walking my dog, every night for an hour or more) or exercising (again, pretty much daily for an hour) I tend to have broad-brush general ideas about the plot or story arc for a novel or section of a novel.

At the keyboard, I live inside a scene --smelling, hearing, seeing, hearing. For some reason, I cannot think in any kind of detail when I am in motion (dialogue, sometimes, but that's it). At a keyboard, I cannot see beyond the events that are unfolding at that moment in the story. Who knows why, but that's just how my brain works.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:15 pm

It may sound weird, but I don't have an inspiration to write. I write because I enjoy writing. I guess if the question was, What inspired you to start writing?" then I would say reading. I read James Rollins's novel Excavation in late 2007 and decide I wanted to try my hand at writing. Been doing it ever since. And since 2007, I met James at a writing conference. That was a great day. Hey, maybe I was inspired. :D

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:47 pm

My current novel idea came from the first 2 seconds a movie where the camera panned away from the sun.

Meaning: comes from anything. My mind just decides by itself, "Hey, you could make this into a really cool story!"
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Next

Return to Conversation question