[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Why promote ebooks for free : General Questions & Discussions • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Why promote ebooks for free

SangitaSingh
Private E-1

Re: Why promote ebooks for free

Postby SangitaSingh » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:12 am

sandracollin1985
Private E-1

Postby sandracollin1985 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 am

You can promote it for free but to let the readers download the whole book is not right. You can always set restriction in pages you don't want them to take advantage. Most people when they see its free they would assume your whole e-books is for free which is kinda sad.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:24 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Here's what I've learned concerning making your book free for a limited time:

One potential huge benefit is reviews. If you're selling one or two per day, you are unlikely to get many reviews. If you have a few free days, and get 300 downloads (as I did), you increase your chance of getting some reviews. Get a few good reviews, and it will help your sales significantly.

OTOH, people who download for free are less likely to read the book, and less likely to review it. My recently released book (link removed - kindly review the site guidelines -pls.)) got about 300 downloads, and I only have two reviews so far.

Second, most believe that a few free days will result in an uptick in sales. I haven't seen that, but at my rate of sales (about one per day), I wouldn't notice that.

Third, your biggest problem is becoming visible, and free promotions are a good way to accomplish that. Be sure to fill out forms at free books sites telling when your book will be free.

Finally, I doubt that a few days of free promotion will hurt your sales.

HTH,

Al
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:07 pm

It's a year later and things have been a-changing. I published my two books on Amazon but have had no sales from them. Not even one. It was the same with Smashwords until last week when I told myself, "What the heck. I'll offer the oldest book for free, and sell the other for 99cents." In less than a week, 16 people have downloaded the free book. Wow! That means sixteen people have now heard of Joni Havel and, hopefully, they will seek out something else from me. :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

The_Mad_Ink3r
Private E-2

Postby The_Mad_Ink3r » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Honestly, I don't think you should give it away for free. Doing that doesn't really help anything, but maybe start selling at a low (affordable) price and get yourself some reviews, this way more people will buy. Sales spread faster by word of mouth. REMEMBER THAT!

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:22 am

Here are the sales for my Drive, Ride, Repeat book, starting right after the five-day free period (soon after the book's release). You can see that there was a good bump in sales following the free period. I now have 22 reviews.

Next KDP Select period, I am going to try a countdown deal.

Giveaways may not be ideal, but the alternative may be that you are totally invisible among the 1,000 new books that are published each day.
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:57 am

The main problem that I have with ebook giveaway promotions is that quite a few people have already bought and paid for the book, including many who are "friends" via my social media as well as fans of my previous books. If I now giveaway the book for free, even for a week or so, it seems to me like I stand to alienate anyone who has already purchased a copy... particularly when you write and sell books to cheapskates. ;-)

How have others handled this?
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:17 am

Wanted to bump this back up to see if anyone has thoughts on the issue I raised above.
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions & Discussions