[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Michigan : Literary Hot Spots • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Michigan

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
telesophic
Private E-1

Re: Michigan

Postby telesophic » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:24 pm

Downriver

-Heritage Perk, free WiFi (have to sign in) but the music's relaxing and the staff's very nice, their Monday nights are a bit busy but if you're looking for atmosphere that's a place to go.

The "D" itself

-DIA has it's own cafe, a bit pricey but nice atmosphere
-Beans and Bytes, free WiFI, near Wayne State Campus, I was there once, it seemed nice
-Campus Martius is part of the wifi cloud for Detroit but not necessarily very quiet ...

(a bit) North of Detroit

-Deebe's Cafe on Hoover in Warren was a good place, free WiFi there as well, nice and quiet.
-

JABarnes
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby JABarnes » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Colleen G
Private E-1

RE: Michigan

Postby Colleen G » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Standale, MI (which is really this small section in between Grand Rapids and Allendale) There is the greatest little coffee shop called Wilderness Expressions. They play relaxing music, serve the best hot chocolate, have the greatest pasteries, and the most friendliest staff. I sit in there and write/read for hours. They also have free internet and are a little gift shop too. :)

FancyThat
Private E-1

Postby FancyThat » Thu May 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Main St., Port Huron
The Raven Cafe
The owner baught a bunch of old books from estate sales before opening so there's plenty to read if you dig in your bag and find John Grishom isn't there or that your laptop is dead with no plug. Its a bit "emo" but a perfect spot. Get your coffe or tea, a tasty brownie, and pull up a seat. I believe there's wifi here too. OOhh! And there are sofas upstairs and seats on the balcony. I actually go to a knitting club there on Tuesdays. ^^

FancyThat
Private E-1

Postby FancyThat » Thu May 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Oh and there's open mic on wednesdays for bands (okay usually just a guy with a guitar) . Always good music there. ^^

WeAreOnTheLoose
Private E-2

Postby WeAreOnTheLoose » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07 pm

The Clinton-Macomb library in Clinton Township, MI works out when I'm motivated enough to get over there.
Why the hell did I title my profile from a 1981 hit with lots of synthesizers?

A Walk To Aquarius:
My Amazon page:
My baseball blog:

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:01 am

The Detroit Metro area and especially The Downriver Area is almost a literary black hole. All the book stores have closed and most of the independent coffee houses have closed. The library system shares book series with libraries on the other side of Detroit. For example, I live in Riverview and I borrowed Legend by Marie Lu. To read the other two books in the series I had to request them from other libraries. Prodigy came from the Madison Heights Library and Champion from the Sterling Heights Library. Both libraries are in countries on the Northern side of Detroit. Not a good place for us literary types. So wonder I find myself turning to the internet.
Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

Previous

Return to Literary Hot Spots