[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QUESTIONS ON A NEW NOVEL : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

QUESTIONS ON A NEW NOVEL

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

QUESTIONS ON A NEW NOVEL

Postby LilliesCarol » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:04 pm

This was also posted in the Book Section, but due to some of the technical questions I have, I thought some of you smart gurus would have some answers. Thanks for ;your help.

I just finished reading the JANSON OPTION. A new novel by Paul Garrison. However, I have several questions:
If Paul Garrison wrote it, how can Robert Ludlum’s name be more prominently displayed on the cover than Garrison’s, which is in very small print at the bottom of the cover? Inside it states Ludlum died in 2001, if this is so, did he leave the beginning of this new series in the hands of Garrison?

This is a fascinating book set in the African nation of Somalia depicting pirating of the high seas in the area and a struggle for supremacy of yet to be explored oil wells. It is very high tech militarily and business-wise. A fascinating read.

My other questions: What is a SAT phone, an SHANZHAIS and an MTAR rifle? Like I said, there is a lot of very high tech woven into the story, but a good read non the less.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: QUESTIONS ON A NEW NOVEL

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:40 am

There have been quite a few authors writing Ludlum novels after his death. Eric Van Lustbader has probably written the most. The reason why Robert's name still gets top bill is because of commercial power and estate ownership.

A SAT phone is a satellite phone, meaning it doesn't need cell towers to work. Works globally.

I believe a TAR rifle is an Israeli assault rifle.

Not sure about SHANZHAIS.

Check out James Patterson and Clive Cussler. They have many books out with other writers, and their name is still the largest on the cover.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks for the information, Terry. I really think its highly unethical, imo, to use a popular author's name in order to sell your book. When would the newbie establish his/her own selling power if his book is under the guise of a famous author. I guess the whole world is money crazy and after reading this novel, it is another eyeopener to greed in the entire world gone crazy.

I don't know about unethical. There is a certain amount of involvement from living authors. None of them are newbies. They were already established authors. They aren't just going to let something with their name on it get published. Some outline, other edit and offer suggestions, and others write a portion. It's spelled out in the contract. With the Ludlum novels, the fans wanted to see the Bourne series continued. With authors like Patterson and Cussler, they get a bigger portion of the profits.

By the way, a very good author friend of mine (Boyd Morrison), who I am very lucky to have as a reader, just finished the next Oregon Files series with Clive Cussler.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:31 pm

If I was a habitually high-selling novelist, I would want to mentor others and I might form some partnerships where both of our names would be on the cover, in some way.

and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanzhai

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:42 pm

i knew bob and mary when i lived in westport back in the 80s-90s and can only assume bob would be having a good laugh over the hollywood-worthy mystery surrounding his own death, the conspiracy theories regarding it, and all the wrassling over his huge estate and many franchises... what a movie that would make!

'spontanious combustion'?... or diablolical murder?

http://www.legacy.com/news/legends-and- ... iracy/573/
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:38 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:46 pm

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:19 am

Thanks James, good information and an explanation of why some author's books are under a prominent author's name. Also your explanation of the new warfare jargon explains a lot, particularly the shanazhais. It fits in perfectly and makes for a better understanding of the story.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:13 am

This is a question for you, please, James. It's about guns.

If a bullet enters the right temple and exits on the other side of the head, do you know what kind of gun or bullet could cause a cross-shaped entry hole?

I am working on a fictional case study and can find nothing in the literature about gun shot head wounds that result in a cross-shape. All I can find is that a Phillips screwdriver could cause such a mark. Also, an arrow leaves a wound that could be mistaken for a gun shot, but my victim definitely doesn't have an arrow shaft through his head.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Sorry about diverting your thread, Carol, but you were asking about guns, too.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question