[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do you want to be a writer? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do you want to be a writer?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
wheelygirl58
Private E-1

Re: Do you want to be a writer?

Postby wheelygirl58 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 pm

To nhope: I agree with all your additions to C.Bukowski's piece & for me, all the other comments are to be truthful, way over my head! Thank you!!
"And we know that in all things God works for the of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

Bradley Steven
Private E-1

Postby Bradley Steven » Fri May 30, 2014 10:14 pm

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Lonely Hunter
Private E-1

Postby Lonely Hunter » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:04 am

I don't get it... So there's no writing just for the pleasure of writing? I believe that's the way he feels about writing, but I think different people have different reasons for writing. Why can't you want to show your loved ones your writing? I think that's just being excited about what you wrote. And you can't tell me Bukowski has never sat in front of his computer screen trying to come up with the right words. If writing was as easy as being chosen and having it flow out of you, there would be no bad books by good writers. And that sh***y first draft would be significantly less sh***y. I definitely don't write because it just pours out of me and I'll die if I don't. I write because I'm good at it, I love doing it, and it makes me happy. If I was never allowed to write, I might be antsy because that's how I'm used to spending my time, but I'm pretty sure I'd find another way to fill my time that I would find enjoyable. That's just my two cents. :P

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Lonely Hunter
Private E-1

Postby Lonely Hunter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:44 am

Bradley Steven
Private E-1

Postby Bradley Steven » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:27 am

Now that the Army has put me out to pasture I have time to ponder. I've been a storyteller all my life, but never put them into written form. What I'm doing now is just answering the call by people that have said "You should to write a book." I thought about what I wanted to do now that I have unlimited time and enough money every month from a pension. I decided to write since I enjoy it. That's what it boils down to.

There's no pressure for me to make money at writing, which is a good thing, since the learning curve to producing marketable writing is steep. The most valuable asset I posses towards getting to the top of that curve is the time to invest in getting good at it.

So, I write, because I have time, and I enjoy it, but also because the stories I have to tell deserve my best effort.

If I didn't write them they would burn like the sun in my belly until I did. Writing is the antacid to my soul.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:42 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:58 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Lonely Hunter
Private E-1

Postby Lonely Hunter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:50 am

[post by crono91]Well I'm curious to see--moreso because our age and personality are kind of similar.

Well then I look forward to reading what you have to say. :D

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question