[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Procrastination : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Procrastination

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
elle33
Private First Class

Procrastination

Postby elle33 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:31 pm

So today was the ultimate crappy day, my mind was overwhelmed with old and rather unhappy memories. It was a busy day at work, so busy I didn't get a lunch break, boss hired a new guy (I'm the only full-time employee) and the new guy is a total putz. (I'm really bad about first impressions.. sorry.)
Anyway, got home two hours late, fixed dinner and then the dog decided to eat a random cat in the backyard. Saved cat, scolded dog, he peed in the floor and I felt guilty for it. He's just following his instincts, right?
Now, I'm not in the mood to write, so I start reading a writers blog hoping it will help me get my mind back on track. Nope! The name of the article in the blog I read, was Alchemy.. I read for a minute, then said to myself, "Hey! Remember that game you used to play years ago with the same name? It was an awesome game."
I searched on Google, "Bingo!"
Something in my browser or machine has blocked it. "Ultimate crappy fail."

So...I think it's a glass of wine and off to bed for me.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Procrastination

Postby shadowwalker » Tue May 20, 2014 10:13 pm

There will always be days when real life rears it's ugly head and upends our universe. A glass of wine and bed are sometimes the only ways to handle it. Tomorrow is another (hopefully better) day. ;)
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 am

The universe kinda gave me the finger yesterday, too, in terms of productivity. Sometimes you've just gotta roll with it.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed May 21, 2014 2:28 pm

The one lesson I know I finally got right was that if you sit down and write every day you're supposed to, no matter what, no matter who gets in your way, it doesn't take long to make it such a habit that you feel lousy if you don't do it.

You have to sit down, even if you've had a lousy day, even if you feel horrible, and you can't even say "I'm not in the mood". It doesn't matter what mood you're in. How would you apply this to a day job? Think your boss would let you loaf through the day if he told you to do something, and you said, "I'm not in the mood."

They say it takes only twenty-one days to form any kind of habit, but I think it took me several months of making myself sit down no matter what before I developed a true habit. After a time, I either had to sit down and write, or it was like not showering or shaving, or even like not smoking. I either had to sit down and write, or my whole day felt wrong. I get cranky, nervous, even whiny, when I can't sit down and put in my hours, and it's all because I made writing such a habit. Well, and because I do enjoy the process.

So I put writing procrastination behind me through pure habit. On the other hand, I do suffer greatly from Procaffeination.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks, ya'll. Yesterday sucked. Today was better, new guy actually slowed down long enough to realize he's not all-knowing and listened a little bit (after a few mishaps I let him achieve all on his own). Maybe he's not a putz, just very young.
Anyway, I'm trying to put a fresh spin on my writing. Intense drama is not my thing. I'm trying to do something I'm not comfortable with, maybe someday I will be, but that isn't today and I don't think these are the characters for it either.
Maybe I needed a night off anyway. I had my glass of wine and continued into the fourth book of the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. It's far-fetched and sometimes predictable, but I hate not finishing something.
What I find funny is the fact that before I started writing, I never really paid attention to how a book was written, just the content. Now, when I read, I find myself highlighting random text that doesn't necessarily contain something that is moving, I just like how it's worded. For the first time, I'm actually paying attention not only to the story but how it's constructed as well.
James, I probably shouldn't repeat what my boss would say to me if I told him I wasn't in the mood to work today. I might get smacked by the moderators. :)

Mooky, I'm sorry. I hope today was a better day. Keep your chin up. ;)

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 pm

I read books very differently now as well. I never used to be so critical of how they were composed!!

Here's a bad day for you: One day your new coworker stumbles upon your writing, gets inspired to become a writer, finds these forums, and finds out you called him a putz. :D

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Bradley Steven
Private E-1

Postby Bradley Steven » Fri May 23, 2014 1:01 pm

When the everyday occurrences of mundane tasks interfere with my writing time I try to utilize them creatively. I ponder as I complete them, as to how I would write about them. I think "How would this fit in story form? What genre could this be plugged into? What would the micro-tension be layered(or whatever other quality I'm currently trying to develop in my style)to fit the story.

It doesn't take much of that before I have that whispering itch to get in front of my laptop again at the next available moment to scratch it.

elle33
Private First Class

Postby elle33 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:06 pm

Wine cures just about everything.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party