[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How Do You Plot Out Your Story? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How Do You Plot Out Your Story?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: How Do You Plot Out Your Story?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:32 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Sorry, I needed to delete the post because I can't delete the link in the signature. I will try to get a hold of the poster.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:22 pm

I have a beginning and an end and one or more waypoints. Then things happen.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:41 pm

i get an idea

i start writing

i keep writing till i get to the end

if timelines and subplots threaten to get tangled, i'll stop and do up a skeleton outline just to keep them straight...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

pjsix10
Private E-1

Postby pjsix10 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Ditto mammamaia. I let the idea drive the action: so much so that I think the characters are in charge more times than I am. :)

AlfieC
Private E-1

Postby AlfieC » Thu May 08, 2014 5:54 am

I start by sitting on the sofa daydreaming. An idea will float into my head and I ask myself, what next? It usually ends up with me babbling away to myself as I brainstorm different ideas. The main points are written down and away I go. I prefer to complete a scene played out in my head - or most of it - before I write it. Things change as I go, but I prefer to have a rough plan to work with.
'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 am

Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu May 08, 2014 11:10 am

I try not to daydream about my stuff any more. I find that if I don't write it down, the best words/phrases are lost - either through memory or interest. Maybe it's an age thing, maybe it's just that I hate retyping what I've thought, but I want my fingers on the keyboard when I'm doing anything with the story.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu May 08, 2014 3:04 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu May 08, 2014 11:34 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Next

Return to Conversation question