[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Reading "Breathing Lessons", a pulitzer winner by Anne Tyler : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Reading "Breathing Lessons", a pulitzer winner by Anne Tyler

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
DrG2
Colonel

Reading "Breathing Lessons", a pulitzer winner by Anne Tyler

Postby DrG2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm

I like the book well enough, but:

some parts are very distant omni while other parts are very close 3rd person, but with occasional slips into other characters POV.

And the main female character (it's one day in the life of a married couple) is extremely ditzy. So much that I would never write a main character like her - - feminists would kill me.

So far, the writer has set up a series of absurd scenes, which is the source of the humor.

Gooblink
Major General

Re: Reading "Breathing Lessons", a pulitzer winner by Anne T

Postby Gooblink » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:14 pm

I read this several years ago. I love Anne Tyler, my favorite still being The Accidental Tourist.

I don't remember the POV slips, but, again, it's been a while. The MC is a piece of work - if you write one like her, do it under a female pseudonym. That way, feminists won't try to kill you, they'd just diss you on the morning talk shows.

Tyler has a gift for turning the mundane into a compelling story.
Peace,
Cindy

http://www.gooblink.com
cindy@gooblink.com
Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/gooblink
-----
Not all things countable are worth counting and not all things that count are countable. - Albert Einstein

kaya67
Private E-1

Postby kaya67 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:47 am

Did Lestat ever wake up from that coma-like swoon he was in toward the end of the series? I cannot really remember, the last two books in the series crossed over with the Mayfair witches series, I remember that, except I really didn't care for either one.
We offer up to date exam questions with self paced test engine to help you exam and complete your ccent course you should also find ccnp wireless training for your complete

Wombat_
Private E-1

Postby Wombat_ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:12 pm

If your novel tries to please everyone, and offend none, it will be bland.

If your main character is ditzy, balance her off with a best friend who is smart and competent. One dizzy woman from my life come to mine; one I almost got engaged to. She was the perfect caricature of a dumb blonde. She would do things like put frozen pizza in the oven without removing the plastic. Kid you not.

She had a masters in physics.

One of my sisters is absolutely brilliant, perfect SAT scores, and more than a bit scatterbrained. She has a doctorate in Chemistry and also an MD.

Part of our socialization is that smart men are absent minded, women are ditzes. Not fair.

Don't worry about feminists. As long as you write truth, there is no complaint.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:53 pm

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:11 pm

I don't put a lot of stock in awards as the literary landscape has gotten so loose and rigor-less in recent times. Sheer sloppiness prevails. Anne Tyler is likeable enough but I'd never consider her Pulitzer quality. Oh well. Congrats to her, I'm sure. Could have gone to a lot worse ilk. I think awards committees are getting short on choices to bear out these committees continued relevance.
Blow up the bridge?!

Return to Book Discussion