[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Layout of Chapter Headings : Covers & Formatting • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Layout of Chapter Headings

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Layout of Chapter Headings

Postby PianoAl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 pm

This is currently how I have the chapter headings (please ignore the spaces around the em dash -- I haven't fixed that yet):

How would you space out those lines?

I wish there were an ebook with the ideal formatting that I could use as a model. Yes, I can choose one that I like, but I'd like to find one that most people would like.

Thanks,

Al
Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Layout of Chapter Headings

Postby pls » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:10 am

First, why are you using a business-letter layout for your text - block style with spaces between paragraphs - instead of a conventional paragraph style with indented first lines in each paragraph?

Second - I'd make the chapter header smaller than the title to emphasize the title content.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

PianoAl
Sergeant First Class

Postby PianoAl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:37 am

Feel free to correct my spelling, punctuation, or grammar.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm thinking indented paragraphs as well, without the space between paragraphs. I know the way you have it is used more for nonfiction, but in my estimation is works best in manuals, and how-to kinds of works. If there's a story being told, I prefer a book to be formatted like a novel. (If you're interested in another opinion :D )

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Also, I prefer 1.15 pt spacing instead of single spacing. To me, that tiny extra little bit of white space makes all the difference, but it's still close enough that people won't really trip up on it. What spacing are you using there?

Return to Covers & Formatting