[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Scribd : Self-Publishing Markets • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Scribd

pls
Site Admin

Scribd

Postby pls » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Smashwords has announced a deal with Scribd, an online reading community that boasts 10 million readers visiting their site each month. (Scribd is somewhat similar to Nokbok, but not only do I not have to do a thing to get my books on this site, Scribd will award me a free subscription to the site.)

From Mark Coker: "There are two parts to the agreement:

1. Smashwords will distribute books to their subscription ebook service, where readers pay $8.99 to read an unlimited number of books (read below for the great terms Smashwords authors receive!).
2. Smashwords to sell books on their site.

Deal terms:

The terms of the agreement are great for our authors. 60% list price for all sales for their bookstore, and 60% list for all qualifying full reads in their subscription service.

For the subscription service, you get paid 60% list after the reader has reached a certain threshold, measured by percentage read. The trigger points for "full read" credit are when a reader reads more than 20% of the book, not counting the first 10% of the book starting at page one which is considered the free sample.

They also pay for partial reads in the subscription service, which is a cool bonus and unlike any other retailer. If a reader reads 5% beyond the 10% sample, but less than 20% beyond, you receive a "browse" credit. 10 browse credits equal one full sale.

Also very cool: As if you didn't already have reason to distribute every book to them, Scribd is offering all participating Smashwords authors who distribute through Smashwords a one-year free subscription to their subscription service valued at over $100. Make sure your books are opted in by January 1 to be eligible, because this is a limited time offer.

They've also shared some exciting merchandising plans that will benefit many Smashwords authors, as well as plans to share enhanced analytics with authors.

In my several months of conversations with them, I'm impressed by their enthusiasm and commitment to support Smashwords authors.

Test shipments have begun, though books will likely not begin appearing in their store or subscription service until sometime in January."
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Scribd

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:39 am

I need your help here, please, pls. I searched for somewhere to sign up for Scribd to add my two books, but couldn't find one. I followed the links to the various pages so I did search diligently. It wasn't just a cursory look at each one. What am I missing, please?
On another tangent, I gather that only the first 10% is considered a free sample on Scribd, whereas I have offered 50% free reading on each of my books. If I manage to subscribe to Scribd, will this 10% only be applicable to the Scribd site, or will all outlets only let readers read 10%? As you can see, I'm thoroughly confused. :shock:
Yet another tangent: Having a free subscription worth $100 sounds good but what about next year? Will I be obliged to carry on the subscription at my expense?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:07 am

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Thank you for the clarification, pls. I'll wait and see what happens. I'm not sure I want to pay $100 to continue the subscription through next year, though.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:40 pm

I see that my subscription to Scribd is due to expire in a couple of months, but I have hardly read any of the books that were available during the past year, and I still haven't found out how to publish my two Joni Havel books on the Scribd site. Has anyone had benefited from the free year's subscription as a result of publishing a book there? I would be very happy to read feedback before deciding whether to renew or not.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks, pls. I can see "Truth Will Out" (now I've looked in the right place) and I found all of yours, too. I am still dithering, though. If I subscribe and pay $8.99 a month, I'm going to have to sell ten or more books a month just to break even. So far I haven't sold any through Scribd and, unless I become famous overnight, it looks like being a no-win situation for me.

Added half an hour later: On the other hand, there are thousands of books I can read on Scribd that I would never be able to afford to buy, so perhaps it's as broad as it's long.

Return to Self-Publishing Markets