[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Professional Editing and Agency Search : FAQs • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Professional Editing and Agency Search

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Green Dragon
Private E-1

Re: Professional Editing and Agency Search

Postby Green Dragon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks, Guys, I REALLY appreciate this. After a lifetime of trying to find an agent for my kooky prose, I thought I finally found the right one (met at a reputable writers conference). Sigh. I am so tired of trying to find an agent, but not so tired that I will be ripped off or give up or lose my self-respect! Appreciate your advice and encouragement, and anyone else out there who wants to chime in, please do so! GD

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:50 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

mw91884
Private E-1

Postby mw91884 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Hello,

I would recommend getting a Editor but also remember that this will cost a significant amount of money. You have taken the correct steps and have done several rewrites with outside help. You could post your book on Amazon and go into the Kindle Direct Publishing Program. This will give you an opportunity to get the book published and the opportunity for book sales. for the most part getting an agent is a catch 22. Most agents want someone that is selling books or has a publisher chasing them. Most publishers want a writer to have an agent. And in order to get really good sales most readers want you to be an established writer.

To get a Editor let your fingers do the walking on the internet and ask friends that may have experience with a good editor. To not hurriedly send you manuscript to an editor in a hurry. Protect your work and get it registered with the library of congress. Some companies like writers market provide editing service so do have a budget to cover cost. I think going with a repretable company is the best approach for an editor. As for an agent also go on sites such a writers market, imdb, and look for literaery agents. I recently bought a book called Talent Agecies & Casting Directors that I purchased at Barnes and Nobles. The cost was 10.00 and it has a good listing of literary agents.

The most important thing is don't give up and be patient when reaching out to all these groups.

Kind regards,

Michael

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:15 am

michael...
see my post on the first page for why i do not recommend hiring an editor, even though i am one and provide the full range of editing services to clients...

as for registering one's copyright with the loc, doing so is not generally recommended, since the work is protected by the automatic copyright, one's publisher will do the registering, and it's not needed when only at the querying/submitting stage...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

firstediting
Private E-1

professional editing services

Postby firstediting » Tue May 05, 2015 5:44 am

Writing is not a process of putting your words into a document. It should be a document which can easily describe your feeling as well as your expression on a page. Your document should have perfect formatting, critiquing, indexing, summarizing, and many more things which help you to explore your words in front of readers.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue May 05, 2015 12:26 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue May 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue May 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Every year at ThrillerFest we have around 60 debut authors that attend.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue May 05, 2015 9:17 pm

I have 3 writer friends who landed agents with the first thing they submitted, and my circle of writer friends is not that large, so I have to think new writers are getting picked up fairly regularly. And in case you're thinking that the agents were maybe less than top notch--no, at least two of the three authors mentioned have big name agents (I'm not sure about #3 because she's from the U.K. and I don't know who's big there). The two Americans ended up getting multi-book deals with Macmillon/Tor/Forge, one of the biggest publishers of fantasy in the world, after their first books sold well through a smaller publisher. So it's not impossible for new writers to find agents, even if individual agents only take on a few clients a year. (There are a lot of agents out there.)
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs