[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Professional Editing and Agency Search : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Professional Editing and Agency Search

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
@NeilJSolanki
Private E-1

Professional Editing and Agency Search

Postby @NeilJSolanki » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Hello folks,

As a first-time poster at the Writer's Digest forums, I first want to say hello.

Now, time to defer to the experts:

My question is twofold. First, I have finished several drafts of my first novel, Steel Wolves in the Crystal City, and I'm torn about whether to seek professional editorial help. I have had excellent beta readers give me consistent feedback and have done several thorough edits of the manuscript. Is it necessary to hire a professional editor before querying agents? If so, what are the best avenues and resources to find an editor that is a good fit?

The second part of my question relates to the role of agency and the querying process. Preferably, I would love to work with an agent that takes an active interest in my writing, future, and professional development. What are the best resources available to find such a gem (I know it's hard)? Also, do most agents give editing advice or, perhaps, refer you to an editor after they have taken you on (supposing, of course, they love your work but feel like a few details could be worked out)? I guess I'm just curious as to how much legwork an agent will put in (if any) once they have taken a writer on.

Sorry for the verbosity, but I'd love to hear any thoughts from the experienced writers here.

Thanks in advance!

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Professional Editing and Agency Search

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Last edited by TerryRodgers on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@NeilJSolanki
Private E-1

Postby @NeilJSolanki » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Terry,

Thanks kindly for the erudite knowledge. I will certainly be spending quite a bit of time trawling QueryTracker and Predators & Editors. Cheers!

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 pm

As to the first part - hiring an editor - I personally would recommend against that. Reason: you may hire an editor who isn't on the same wavelength as the potential publisher. And after all, that's one of the thing trade publishers do. The only time I would recommend hiring an editor (and recommend this very strongly) is if one were planning to self-publish.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:19 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Green Dragon
Private E-1

Postby Green Dragon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi, this is a related question rather than an answer.
My prospective agent recommended a book editor who will charge $2,000 to edit my manuscript. (That's the initial fee, who knows what is waiting in the wings!)
What concerns me is I've discovered that this book editing service is actually a branch of the literary agency I've been working with (not under contract yet).
Is this a case of the truism, "No writer should deal with a literary agent who charges a fee for services or editing"? Thanks! GD

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Run. Run like there's no tomorrow. Yell at them, cancel your contract if you have one and get the hell out. Check out P&E. Then flip them off. Be grateful you didn't sign with them, make sure you tell them in writing you are not going to, and flip them off again.

All of that would have been worded more strongly if "PG-13 language" meant "PG-13 language" on this site. And I would have used the one free F-bomb you are allowed in PG-13 movies on this post.

And if you're still curious how I feel about this, you can look at my blog entries on this subject (where my language is not so censored).

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:26 pm

As Mooky said.

This is going to happen more and more. I've seen several well-known agents start offering this service. At this time, until better rules are in place, it's better to shop somewhere else. The biggest reason: using that agent's editing services is not a guarantee of representation. So it's money wasted if your intentions are to go the traditional publishing route.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Next

Return to FAQs