[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Florida : Literary Hot Spots • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Florida

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
Gloriana
Private E-1

Re: Florida

Postby Gloriana » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:20 am

St. Petersburg, Florida

The Globe Coffee Lounge ( http://www.globecoffeelounge.com/ )

Great place to meet fellow creatives of all ages in this area, and they are always happy to host groups when given notice. Quiet on weekday afternoons, many comfortable spots to sit down and write in peace. Not to mention loads of local art for sale, great coffee and truly delicious baked goods. Extremely artist friendly! I've met quite a few fellow writers and book lovers here.
"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

altraseckz
Private E-1

Postby altraseckz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Name of City/Town: Jacksonville
Name of Hot Spot: Chamblin Bookmine, and Chamblin Uptown
What makes this spot so great for writers?
Chamblins is the largest new and used Tree bookstore in all of Jacksonville. The Bookmine, which is located near our historic Riverside section of town is actually like four or five buildings that have been combined into one massive bookstore. They also have a huge back stock which makes it great when you can't find what you're looking for. The bookshelves in there are huge, and they're all close together. The place is like a maze, and it'll often take quite a journey just to get to the area you're looking for. This inevitably leads to you finding a lot of little gems along the way.
Started up a blog recently. Check it out, and feel free to drop suggestions in my inbox.

Twisted70
Private E-1

Postby Twisted70 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Name of City/Town: New Smyrna Beach
Name of Hot Spot: Any place that's quiet; even at home, with easy computer and internet access.
What makes this spot so great for writers? I really need a quiet place to focus on whatever project I maybe working on at any given time. I do have several projects going at the moment and I need to buckle down to get them done. This is a part of my goal for the new year. I know its early to think about it, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead just a little bit. Every writer has a system that works for them, but I want to find something that works for me.

MjPickering
Private E-1

Postby MjPickering » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Jacksonville Florida

Chamblin's Uptown Cafe

Previously mentioned, but it is notable for it's huge selection of media, from books/magazines, to DVDs and CD's.
It also has a cafe area with WiFi and tables that are rarely over-filled.

Lillie's Coffee Bar (Atlantic Beach)

It is within walking to the Bookmark Indy Bookstore. It has a great cafe and coffee. There are many tables and free WiFi. The beach is a one block walk- literally 50 yards! It is a quiet place, for the most part. I meet there often with fellow writers and we're never rushed or given stinkeye for sitting at a table for hours, even if we've only bought coffee and a pastry.

Riverside

This is a picturesque community situated on the St. Johns river. I'd recommend a VRBO stay in this neighborhood if you need to escape and write uninterrupted for a week (or weekend)

Previous

Return to Literary Hot Spots