[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Horrible, horrible books! : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Horrible, horrible books!

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: Horrible, horrible books!

Postby DrG2 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:00 am

some writers are such good wordsmiths and storytellers that they can thrive even when their stories aren't that great.

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 am

I read the first three Halo books and that killed me. They are extremely boring, Master Chief has no personality in him whatsoever.

I admit to reading Eragon, in the beginning pages it seemed like he was intentionally rhyming. And that bugged me, until he finally knocked it off and from there it wasn't so bad. Probably cause I never read epic fantasy before. Now I've never read the LOTR but I've watched them.

I then read Eldest and midway in between the book he started his training with the Elves. I went along but what made me skip all of that is when he tried making a sculpture of Arwen's face, sorry I mean Arya. I don't why but that really screamed pathetic.
First time I ever skipped anything in a book, I read Roran's bits. He was much more interesting and actually doing something compared to Eragon slogging through training. I read the big battle scene and when Murtagh reveals that he's closely related to him. :| I stopped reading the series.

I tried reading Ender's Game, I dropped that at the first chapter. Couldn't get into it. And made me start thinking is all sci-fi full of no personality. Now I'm not hating a sci-fi, I love it with the Star Wars novels but then some of them are boring too. Like Aaron Allston's writing I got three chapters into that and dropped it. I don't know maybe it's a style of writing for me.

LoverOfWords
Private E-1

Postby LoverOfWords » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:05 pm

I hated the Hunger Games Trilogy and thought it was awful. The books got progressively worse, and I was so sorely disappointed after reading Mockingjay that I was in a state of shock at having finished such a bad series (shocked because I had high expectations from the hype). Then, determined never to forget how bad the series was, I wrote a single-spaced one page rant about it to myself. I've never felt compelled to do that before. For one, I hated the protagonist and felt absolutely no connection or sympathy for her, which is CRUCIAL. Next, it had one of the worst loves triangles I have ever read, which wasn't resolved until the last four pages or something ridiculous like that. The guy she doesn't pick is booted out of the running by essentially becoming evil in an out-of-nowhere stunt. It was unnecessarily morbid, complete with just-for-the-heck-of-it deaths. In the third book, Katniss failed at being the Mockingjay and had other people win the battle for her, IMO. By the end, I wished Katniss had died or that she didn't get either Peeta or Gale. So many people sing the praises of the series, but I don't get it. I don't even think it was well-written, and the present tense first person kind of grated on me. I enjoyed the movie more than the book. That never happens, but it would have been impossible for the movie to be any worse, I guess.

tinachris
Private E-1

Postby tinachris » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:14 pm

I know there are readers who plow through a book from cover to end even though they are hateing what they are reading!! Why waste the time when there are so very many good, really good, books that could be read and enjoyed. Never go by so-called Bestsellers. When publishers or bookstores want to sell books they are listed under "Best seller". ;)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Muppetcow
Private E-1

Postby Muppetcow » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:01 pm

TNE
Private First Class

Postby TNE » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:38 am

Brayn
Private E-1

Postby Brayn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:41 am

Interesting discussion about horrible books, and i really appreciate to above discussion, well, I'm not interested in horrible books, but my elder brother is interested to read horrible books, but i love to read love story books ...

Last edited by Brayn on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 pm

G-Girl2
Sergeant First Class

Postby G-Girl2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Book Discussion