[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Salt Cay Writers Retreat - Oct 20-26 - Bahamas : Literary Hot Spots • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Salt Cay Writers Retreat - Oct 20-26 - Bahamas

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
KarenDionne
Private E-1

Salt Cay Writers Retreat - Oct 20-26 - Bahamas

Postby KarenDionne » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:32 am

Did you know that William Styron put the finishing touches on Sophie’s Choice while vacationing on Salt Cay, Bahamas? Or that Anne Morrow Lindbergh worked on Gift From The Sea on Salt Cay as well?

Now you too can practice your craft on this beautiful private Bahamian island. The Salt Cay Writers Retreat invites advanced literary and upmarket commercial fiction writers, memoirists, and narrative non-fiction writers (both published and unpublished) to join us for a memorable week of writing and instruction October 20-26.

Imagine a faculty of #1 New York Times bestselling authors, top editors from the most prestigious publishers, and prominent literary agents. Add a sunset dinner cruise, swimming with dolphins as part of the curriculum, island feasts with local entertainment. Finish with plenty of time to write in a beautiful, secluded, relaxing, and inspiring setting.

With 65 students and 10 faculty members, the Salt Cay Writers Retreat focuses on craft at an MFA level in a non-academic setting. Published authors who wish to take their writing to the next level are also welcome to apply.

Faculty members:

Authors:
Robert Goolrick, #1 New York Times bestselling author
Jacquelyn Mitchard, #1 New York Times bestselling author

Editors:
Chuck Adams, Executive Editor, Algonquin Books (Water for Elephants)
Amy Einhorn, Publisher and Vice President, Amy Einhorn Books (The Help)
Kate Miciak, Editorial Directory and Vice President, Ballantine/Bantam

Agents:
Michelle Brower, Folio Literary Management
Steven Fisher, Vice President, Agency for the Performing Arts
Erin Harris, Folio Literary Management
Jeff Kleinman, Founder, Folio Literary Management
Erin Nuimata, Senior Vice President, Folio Literary Management

http://www.SaltCayWritersRetreat.com

Questions? Write to me, Karen Dionne (karendionne@bksp.org) or you may telephone Christopher Graham at 732-267-6449.
Image Image

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Salt Cay Writers Retreat - Oct 20-26 - Bahamas

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Sounds like a great Retreat, Karen. Thank you for the information.

Karen Dionne
Private E-1

Re: Salt Cay Writers Retreat - Oct 20-26 - Bahamas

Postby Karen Dionne » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 am

Just bumping this up to include information for the 2014 retreat . . . .

2014 Salt Cay Writers Retreat (Bahamas) - Registration now open! http://www.saltcaywritersretreat.com

Our 2014 faculty includes #1 New York Times bestselling authors Lorenzo Carcaterra, Robert Goolrick, and Jacquelyn Mitchard, National Book Award finalist and Orange Prize winner Téa Obreht, as well as literary agents Jeff Kleinman, Erin Harris and Erin Niumata of Folio Literary Management, and Jill Marr with the Sandra Dijkstra Agency, with more terrific faculty members to come!

The week-long retreat takes place on a private island in the Bahamas with a rich literary history (where William Styron wrote Sophie's Choice!), and includes small-group workshops, individual instruction, student and faculty author readings - even a dolphin swim!

Here's a sampling of what 2013 SCWR students had to say about the retreat:

“The SCWR was a life-changing experience I will never forget. The faculty was just superb across the board, especially the authors who were wise and gifted teachers. I appreciated how accessible, generous, and helpful everyone was. I was at a place in my writing career where I was ready for tools to take my work to the next level. I found this at the SCWR and so much more. Thank you all!” – 2013 Salt Cay Writers Retreat student

“I took in so much inspiration and information that my head is spinning. The panels were sublime, featuring a heady mix of top notch literary agents, authors, and editors. I workshopped the opening chapters of my novel with Robert Goolrick, which was an unforgettable experience. He’s a brilliant, wise man who opened my eyes to so much in regards to my novel and my writing—I am beyond grateful.” - 2013 Salt Cay Writers Retreat student

For the next few weeks, the application process has been set aside. This means if you'd like to work with our amazingly talented faculty members to improve your writing, all you need to do is register for the retreat, pay the $500 non-refundable deposit to guarantee your place, and you're in! But hurry - attendance is limited to 35 students.

Early Registration Discount: $2,450 before May 1, 2014Full Tuition Fee: $2,950 after May 1, 2014

Feel free to email me, Karen Dionne, with questions (karendionne@bksp.org). You can also telephone Christopher Graham at 732-267-6449 or check out the FAQ page on the Salt Cay Writers Retreat website. Hope to see some of you there!

Return to Literary Hot Spots