[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Favorite Childhood book : Book Discussion • Page 14 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Favorite Childhood book

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Rufina
Private E-1

Re: Favorite Childhood book

Postby Rufina » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 am

My favorite was Tawny Scrawny Lion followed by Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boy when I was 8 or 9 but I had 2 sisters and a brother that I had to read to as well. After that I was read romance novels when I hit age 13 without my parents knowing I hid them in my room under things. I still read to my sisters and brother.
I now read to my son every night before he goes to bed, he sometimes asks for Tawny Scrawny Lion, I have it on my Kobo as the book I had as a kid has long been destroyed. It was past down through the 4 of us so by the time it got it my brother it was pretty ratty.

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:50 pm

The Hobbit will always be MY book.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

Smileyface256
Private E-1

Postby Smileyface256 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:47 am

Oh, yes, I love The Hobbit! :)

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:42 pm

I must have read it a hundred times from when I was seven til now.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

ISDAMan
Private E-1

Postby ISDAMan » Sat May 04, 2013 12:44 pm

A few months ago I discovered the Action Bible. My son loves reading it on his own and absorbing all the fantastic artwork. As long as you understand that the book is a paraphrase that gives you the idea of the story, it's good.

gaurav1
Private E-1

Postby gaurav1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:38 am

I was read many time superman book and also batman. That two was my favorite and most readable comic book in my child hood time....

Lonely Hunter
Private E-1

Postby Lonely Hunter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:36 pm

A Wrinkle in Time
The Chronicles of Narnia series
The Hobbit
Where the Wild Things Are

Apparently I was into the fantasy genre when I was younger.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 am

Go,Dog Go!
The Sleepy Book (Margaret Wise Brown, anything by her really)
There was one I think called "Come Over to My House" which featured different types of houses from all over the world and children inviting you to come visit or have a sleepover at their place.
Hands, Hands, Fingers Thumb --- "Too many monkeys! Too many drums!" etc.
And, I think by the same guy as Hands, Hands, this book about a king trying to get rid of a mouse eating his cheese, and bringing in all kinds of animals; each animal creates a new problem, which he tries to fix by bringing in a new animal, etc. and ends up bringing the mouse back to scare away the elephants. Very funny illustrations.
The Animal Orchestra, anything by Tibor Gergely.
Richard Scarry books.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 pm

The Encyclopedia Brittanica, Jr.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 am

"Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright