[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your Favorite Childhood Book - 6/14 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your Favorite Childhood Book - 6/14

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Your Favorite Childhood Book - 6/14

Postby Brian » Mon May 02, 2011 4:45 am

What was your favorite book as a kid? Recount the way it made you feel when you read it.

You can post your response (750 words or fewer) here.

jody222
Private E-1

Re: Your Favorite Childhood Book - 6/14

Postby jody222 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:58 pm

In a world wrought with so many uncertainties, I believe that a book I treasured as a child helped me become someone determined to make a difference in any small way.
Because a Little Bug went Ka-Choo tells you a funny story about how everything going down is linked to one small creature who sneezed and knocked a small seed off of a plant. The series of events that follow show the disaster growing to ultimate proportions. I loved it. The pictures in the book were so busy and chaotic.
I read it so many times and always remembered how one little thing created so many other events.
Today, when I smile at someone, or open a door for a person I think that maybe I made a series of good events happen that day. And when I donate a dollar to my favorite foundation I don't feel bad about the amount because there are one million one dollars in a million dollars. Every penny counts, every good deed creates a circle of happy.
I'm told I'm kind, but I feel I'm lucky. I love life and try to help others love it too.

whitepenney
Private E-1

Postby whitepenney » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:45 pm

The few that come to mind are ones that I no longer know the titles to, regretfully. One was about a little witch that lived with her aunt and a whole bunch of other witches. She was always getting into trouble. There were a few continuances to it. Another was a small book for 2nd to 3rd grade level readers. It was written or at least found in my school library in about 1978. It was about a family of Marine Biologist. At least I think so, because I remember the illustrations showing there home underwater in a bubble on stilts. They always went out on adventures or investigations. There were a few of these written too. Long lost children's books of the early to mid-70's. Through fate, I have recently come across books by Blue Balliett. Even as an adult I highly recommend any of them.

Ceris
Private E-1

Postby Ceris » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 pm

I remember my childhood in terms of books. Every week or so I'd bring a one to the dinner table and announce, "this is my favourite." Apparently I did this well before I could read. I'd present my Mum with a Stephen King Novel, clearly well beyond my reading ability. It didn't matter, though. I'd cling to it, carry it with me where ever I went. I liked the way my tiny fingers could flip through the pages, and the way they felt soft when I did so. I liked the way they smelled. They were Mum and Dad's books, and I was being grown up, just like them.

Then, gradually, the complicated squiggles began to make sense. Before long I was reading books, all by myself. Not Stephen King or Iain Rankin, of course. The Mister Men series, those were my favourites for a while. Then I discovered that I could read Norwegian, too. The letters were pretty much the same, it just took me longer to make sense of the words. With my new language I started on Ludde's adventures. No book lasted as my favourite for more than a few weeks. Before long I was reading full length novels, and I came across Journey to the River Sea. It was different to anything I'd read before. I started my "favourites" shelf, and for over a year, it was the only book on it. I read it over and over and over. It was the first book that really took me somewhere. I wasn't sitting in my room reading about the Amazon, I was in the Amazon, torn away from a mundane life to a world of new things.

It was the first book I recommended to a friend. I lent Kristina my copy, and she read it over and over and over again, too. We talked about it, we played games about it, we wrote book reports for school about it. That was when we stumbled upon dangerous territory. We began to write about it. Not ‘essays’ like we had to do for school. No, we’d somehow found ourselves in the field of creative writing. We wrote stories based in the jungle, based on the river, based on the characters. We wrote ourselves into the story, we wrote the characters into our lives.

I can’t say for sure if it was Journey to the River Sea that turned me into a proper reader, but I know that it turned me into a writer.

Storylover02
Private E-1

Postby Storylover02 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 pm

M favorite book from my childhood was definitely The Hobbit. My dad read it to me and my brother when we were both very young, and it has been a favorite ever since. I even used it as a symbol in one of my short stories. To be honest, I think that was the story that first got me into writing. It awakened a desire for adventure, and to travel to far-off places. I was only six at the time so I wasn't going to trek through forests and scale mountains anytime soon, but I could imagine that I was. This inspired me, my brother, and our little circle of friends to play more creatively. I know every kid plays make-believe at some point in their lives, but it didn't feel like that to me. To me, we weren't playing, but creating stories. We each had our characters, and though we all had important roles, we acknowledged that some of our characters were more significant than others. I mean, my elven ranger was great in his way, but couldn't quite compete with a fairy queen. And the story never changed. We might have added some extra twists and turns, but the main plot remained the same for ages. When that story was finally over, we simply created a new one with new roles for all of us, and it would begin again.
In short, The Hobbit was the story that taught me create stories. I have only written a few, and none are particularly good, but I still love doing it, and will keep at it until I created something that will hopefully inspire someone as much as Tolkien inspired me.

y0rt-x
Private E-1

Postby y0rt-x » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:22 pm

The Nintendo "Worlds of Power" series!

A few different authors contributed to this series based on various Iconic video games of the 80's, even though I believe all of the used the pen name "F.X. Nine". I'm sure they were probably quite horrid, but as a kid I adored them. Metal Gear was my favorite. It was like playing a live action video game. I got imagine all of my favorite characters in their quests, but they weren't 8-bit in my head :)

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:38 pm

I can narrow my childhood favorite book series to the Dr. Dolittle books and the Freddy the Pig series, which are hilarious. Honorable mention goes to the Junior Classics series, a bookshelf of fiction, poetry, and non-fiction stories aimed at the junior high level reader (although some are adult stories). I still read from the Junior Classics when I need a strong nostalgia kick.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

nean
Private E-1

Postby nean » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:09 pm

My favorite book was Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey. It was my most beloved library book. I don't know how many times I checked this book out, but I imagine I gave it the most wear. I suppose it made me wish to be Sal. Looks wise, I was very much like her. It made me feel secure. I dreamed to have food-a-plenty, a mother who wore an apron, canned, and messed around in the kitchen, and was a protective mother such as a mother bear. The writing was perfect for my age and though the inside illustrations were limited to just two colors, they were very enchanting!

CreativeHeart75
Private E-1

Postby CreativeHeart75 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Hello,

I don't know that I had one favorite above all. There are books that I remember because I liked the plot or the characters or there was something that I liked about the moral of the story. One of my favorite children's books would have to be a Little Golden Book from when I was about 4 years old called "Animal's Christmas Eve". I loved the way the story was told, it was told with rhymes (one of my favorite things, though I don't know why) and it was a very calming and soothing story for Christmas. I still have the book. I read it to my kids when they were little and someday hopefully I can share it with their kids.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:26 pm

I will never forget Big Max, an I can read book. I continued rereading it long after my reading abilities had evolved. I guess it may be what gave me my love for mysteries and puzzles. In the story, Max figures out how the elephant escaped over the wall, by stacking blocks of ice. I was fascinated by that and absolutely loved it! I of course, went on to higher reading with Encyclopedia Brown! Later, near the age of 11 or 12 to nearly 14, I was obsessed with the works of HP Lovecraft and Robert Heinlein.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges