[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Respectable publisher joins forces with scammer : Scams Beware • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Respectable publisher joins forces with scammer

pls
Site Admin

Respectable publisher joins forces with scammer

Postby pls » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Can you say, "desperate"? Looks as if Simon & Schuster is grasping at any straws they can before they go under:

http://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/2012 ... f-writers/
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Re: Respectable publisher joins forces with scammer

Postby Elibet1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks for sharing this Paul. I made the decision long ago never to self-publish using any of these scam businesses. I'm shocked at Simon and Schuster joining forces with these sharks, but Penguin not so much. :mrgreen:

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:25 pm

I saw that yesterday and just shook my head. This is clearly vanity publishing, and the really sad thing is a lot of desperate people will fall for it.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Aside from paying little attention to Gaughran or his opinions - what about Abbott Press? Or are you similarly disgusted with WD?
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Here's another link about this from Writer Beware, a source I definitely respect.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to say this is a good thing - I just found it ironic on this forum. It's not like S&S is unique in going this route, or even that it's a sign of 'desperation'. Just another method of bringing in revenue, which any savvy business will do. Smart writers will do their homework and not get suckered into this or any other questionable venture.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks for the insight folks. A former co-worker of mine went through Xlibris. I tried to warn him about it back then because I had a bad feeling about it. Now I know and understand the unscrupulous connections that are brewing with shady publishers and the formerly noteworthy ones. Glad you took the time to share this information.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:14 am

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 am

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:29 am

Print books have been in existence for centuries. I doubt very much that ebooks will 'destroy' them, any more than the computer destroyed paper. And while Amazon may show their sales are 50%, I keep reminding myself that Amazon is not the only bookseller in the world. I know many people who buy ebooks and then purchase print copies of the ones they especially enjoy. So no, not buying into the demise idea at all.

Next

Return to Scams Beware