[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
10 Self-Publishing Musts : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

10 Self-Publishing Musts

Edward G

10 Self-Publishing Musts

Postby Edward G » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:01 am

1. You must have good cover art.
2. You must be well-edited.
3. You must make a paperback and Kindle version.
4. You must price your books right.
5. You must let people know they exist.
6. You must write better than King, Grisham, Patterson, Sandra Brown, et al. They have an addicted reading audience, you don't.
7. You must have a publishing company (ISBN, company logo, website, Schedule C for taxes).
8. You must have professional software: photoshop, mobipocket creator, MS Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker, MS Word, Dreamweaver, et. al, and really know how to use them.
9. You must know the industry and write books that are of the type that are selling currently (You don't have to sell out, just select out of the million ideas you have the ones that match the current market.).
10. The moment you have a story idea, record the time and date and do an astrological chart on it to see if you should proceed (Hey, at least you'll have some hope.).

pls
Site Admin

Re: 10 Self-Publishing Musts

Postby pls » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:23 am

I could have swallowed most of these until #10. Why not get a palm reader, phrenologist, and a professional ouija board reader, too? Why limit yourself to astrology? And don't forget to check those astrology listings in your local newspaper, too. Those are certainly fine-tuned to each reader, I'm sure.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Edward G

Postby Edward G » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:17 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 am

I have questions.

1. If you self-publish via Kindle or other electronic method, why do you have to have paper print? Even if I purchased a self-published electronic novel, I recently purchased Boyd Morrison's latest, I would never pay $14 for a paperback.

2. If you can self-publish directly into Kindle or other electronic methods, why do I need to establish my own publishing company?

Thanks. :D

Linton Robinson
Corporal

Postby Linton Robinson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Actually, many SP ebooks require no paperback version. Many are to short for it to make sense.
And if you are just working on Kindle there is NO reason to have an ISBN. It's a big expense and serves zero purpose for a Kindle book. Some disagree with this (presumably unable to make the mental switch from 5 years ago) and I challenge them to give a single reason to do so, and nobody's come up with one. The amazon ASIN number is all it needs, and published by Kindle is all the publisher you need.

I really hate to see people springing for several ISBN's for different version of their book for a couple hundred bucks when there is very often no need for it.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 am

This site might be of interest re: ISBNs

It appears that it isn't necessary unless the book is going to be going to some types of booksellers, libraries, etc., so depending on where you plan to distribute, it may or may not be necessary.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Linton Robinson
Corporal

Postby Linton Robinson » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Exactly.

ISBN's are one of the most-disinformed items in SP. Everybody is so giddy about knowing they exist and maybe having just laid out a couple of hundred to Bowkers that they insist you just have to have them.

Actually they mean very little to the self and/or small publisher.

Bowkers by the way, could best be viewed as a rip-off conspiracy.
Most newbie US writers are unaware than no other writers in the world have to pay that kind of money for ISBN's Mexican writers pay about $15 Canadians pay NOTHING, nor do many European writers.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:32 pm

11. You must hone your craft. (Something I don't want to skip under any circumstances.) Might be able to lump that in with one of the other ten, but for me, it's #1.

Linton Robinson
Corporal

Postby Linton Robinson » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:32 am

The craft of publishing?

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions