[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Second time around : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Second time around

Oldtimer
Colonel

Second time around

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 am

I am in the process of reformatting my book "Truth Will Out" for publishing on SmashWords. It was previously published by ABook2Read.com who went out of business early in 2011.

Questions:
Do I need a new ISBN?
What about copyright? Is that still 2011 or does it become 2012?
Should I put something like "First edition published by ABook2Read in 2011" on the title page?
Oh, and can I use the cover that was given to me free by ABook2Read, or do I have to create a new one?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Second time around

Postby pls » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:10 am

These all seem to be questions to be posed directly to Smashwords for definitive answers, except for the cover question. If the cover was indeed "given" to you, and the company no longer exists, I'd think you'd be safe to use it.

There's also an option to use your own ISBN or a free Smashwords-supplied ISBN. Unless you're making substantial changes in the book, including the title, before publishing, either one would work, I'm sure.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Thank you, pls. I've posed those questions to Smashwords and hope they reply soon. Last time I asked them a question it took them two weeks! I'll post the answers here, in case anyone else might find them useful.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:34 pm

They've hired more peeps, so maybe they're speeding up the process. I didn't keep track exactly how long it took them to get back to me on the disappearing-books problem at Sony (they've reappeared, thank goodness), but it was something like 4-5 days, and they also mentioned the problem in their "Site Update" discussion, sort of a blog available via a pull-down menu.

Now I'm keeping track as to how long it takes for my latest novel to show up in affiliates' bookstores after uploading it to Smashwords … it went Premium in less than a half-hour after Meatgrinder did its thing!

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 am

I'm confused. (So what's new?) I looked for the ISBN issued to Truth Will Out by abook2read, and couldn't find it.
In an e-mail, dated December 17, 2010, where this outfit sets out its credentials as an e-publisher, it wrote:

"ISBN's are for tangible books only and we decided that we would not apply them to ebooks, as they are really just a bar code for tangible book orders if a shop is trying to fill their shelves. However this is something we are considering applying to all the books we have published in the last 30 months. There are a number of books we are planning to publish in Paper/Hardback next year."

So why does SmashWords give a book an ISBN if it is going to stay digital :?: :?:

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:29 pm

EccentricKim
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby EccentricKim » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Oh man. Well I'm glad you found a way to get an ISBN. I know that if the small publisher I'm going through goes under, all rights of the book go back to me, but not the cover art. I would have to re-read everything to get more details, but sounds like you've got it under control now! The publisher sent me a handbook download with all of those questions and more answered, so if your company didn't give you something like that, I guess you would have to ask them about the cover art.

I think giving credit to the previous publisher is completely up to you, as well. If you don't want to, I see no reason why you should have to, especially if the book is not available through them anymore.
Previously published writer starting over.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:08 am

Thank you, Kim. I'm holding fire on the publishing to Smashwords because I found a new e-publisher through Duotrope (PageSpring) which is asking for novel-length mss. It was in the 'paying market' list, so I contacted them. They said "Previous publication would not preclude us from considering a manuscript if you have, indeed, regained the rights. We will be happy to take a look at a synopsis and the first thirty pages of Truth Will Out."
Of course, I spent all yesterday morning polishing my synopsis and making sure there were no typos in the ms and e-mailed them both yesterday afternoon. Now I'm going to spend the next four weeks chewing my fingernails. :?

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 am

Good luck on the submission, as well as retaining your fingernails, Dorothy.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:48 am

Thank you, Paul. I'm finding out that it's darned hard work typing with my fingers crossed. :D

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions