[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Print on Demand : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Print on Demand

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Print on Demand

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:53 am

So after you have published your novel(s) electronically, has anyone went on to POD? One of the struggles I have with going self-pub is wanting my novel in print. Probably an ego thing. From the little research I have done, POD paperbacks are still well over $10 per novel. If this avenue were to come down into the $7-$9 range I believe this would be a huge turning point for self-pub writers. What does everyone think?

wondo
Colonel

Re: Print on Demand

Postby wondo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

I will go POD at a point that I am comfortable designing good covers. Right now I am still working on that. I think it is a mistake for self publishing writers to ignore POD as the greater part of the market is still, and probably always will be, printed books.
A garden is a place not just for growing plants. It is a place to grow the soul as well.

http://www.mossyfeetbooks.com/

http://www.facebook.com/ae.mableson

http://www.indianaplaces.com/

http://www.aemableson.com

BBBurke
Private E-1

Re: Print on Demand

Postby BBBurke » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:43 am

I'm just about ready to self publish so I don't actually have experience yet. But my thought is that eBooks are a little easier to market and sell yourself (they're cheaper and simple link gets the purchaser to the product instantly). As you said POD is more expensive and harder to sell out of your personal internet storefront. People need to have a little more confidence in what they are buying when they purchase a printed book, and that confidence still largely comes from a trusting a 'publisher' to have screened the product (vs. self-publishing which has no quality control outside the author)

What I have seen some authors do is to start with the eBook to build up a customer/fan base and then offer the books as POD as well. This makes sense to me and it's what I hope to do. But if I can't sell any $2.99 eBooks, then I don't think I'll have more success with a $9.99 POD. And I think print books need a better cover than an eBook to be marketable, and that costs more money.

By the way, when I did the math I figured I would make about as much money off a $9.99 POD book as I would with a $2.99 eBook. And that's 'cause my book is short. So no advantage in royalties on the print side unless you price up to the $12-14 range.

My blog:
A fantasy novella available for free at Smashwords.

Return to General Questions & Discussions